The DJIA, S&P 500 and Russell 2000 (+4.0%) finished higher, soaring to all-time highs again Thursday, as investors ignored the BLM, Antifa led Chaos on Capitol Hill.
Each of the major indexes closed at record highs Thursday in a momentum trade led by the tech stocks.
The NAS Comp outperformed with an impressive 2.6% gainer, followed by solid gains in the Russell 2000 (+1.9%), S&P 500 (+1.5%), and DJIA (+0.7%).
Risk sentiment broadened out to nine of the 11 S&P 500 sectors.
The information technology (+2.7%), consumer discretionary (+1.8%), energy (+1.5%), and financials (+1.5%) sectors were the best-performing sectors, but the utilities (-1.3%) and consumer staples (-0.3%) sectors closed lower.
Reviewing Thursday’s economic data, as follows:
- The ISM Non-Manufacturing Index rose to 57.2% in December from 55.9% in November. The dividing line between expansion and contraction is 50.0%. The December reading reflects a faster pace of expansion than the prior month, and it is the 7th consecutive reading above 50.0%.
- Initial claims for the wk ending 2 January decreased by 3,000 to 787,000 Continuing claims for the week ending 26 December decreased by 126,000 to 5.072-M
During the day President Trump called on his supporters to be peaceful .
“Please support our Capitol Police and Law Enforcement,” he Tweeted. “They are truly on the side of our Country. Stay peaceful!”
Thursday, the benchmark US stock market indexes finished at: DIA +211.73 at 31041.07, NAS Comp +326.69 at 13067.48, S&P 500 +55.65 at 3803.79
Volume: Trade on the NYSE came in at 1.1-B/shares exchanged
HeffX-LTN’s overall technicals analysis of the major US stoack market indexes is Very Bullish in here.
- Russell 2000 +6.2% YTD
- DJA +1.4% YTD
- NAS Comp+1.4% YTD
- S&P 500 +1.3% YTD
Looking Ahead: Investors will receive the Employment Situation Report for December, Consumer Credit for November, and Wholesale Inventories for November Friday.
Have a healthy day, Keep the Faith!
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Sitting on a Cash Pile 10.0? WING’s ‘Cooks to Order’ for Sports Fans at Home - January 22, 2021
- Wall Street’s Key Stock Analysts Research Report, All Buys - January 22, 2021
- Friday’s World Stock Markets: Asia-Pacific - January 22, 2021