Justify continued his domination of the second-crop sire list on Sunday when Opera Singer (2f Justify x Liscanna, by Sadler’s Wells) became his third Grade I winner with a victory in the Group I Prix Marcel Boussac.
Racing on the Arc undercard, the flashy bay was sent straight to the front by Ryan Moore in the one-mile turf race and never relinquished control. Having a slightly lead over Darnation early on, when Moore asked her to pick up the pace coming into the final quarter, Opera Singer quickly did just that.
The filly didn’t give the field a chance to catch her, romping home to a five length win with another Scat Daddy granddaughter in third when No Nay Never’s Les Pavots filled the spot.
“Ryan said she was very straightforward,” trainer Aidan O’Brien said. “I thought she was very strong all the way to the line and it was an impressive performance. She’s by Justify and they get better with age. As she steps up in trip she’s something to look forward to next year.
Opera Singer has quickly proven to be one of the top juveniles in Europe this year with three wins in her five starts. One of her two losses was just by a head with the other coming on debut. Bred by Evie Stockwell, she is trained by O’Brien for Westerberg and Coolmore.
The race was a Win and You’re In for the Breeders’ Cup but O’Brien said that it will be discussed among the ownership before anything is decided.
“She’s obviously a filly that would have no problem starting off at a mile in a Classic and you would imagine she would have no problem going up to a mile and a quarter and a mile and a half. Ryan was raving about her there coming in–he said I look forward to this day next year!”
“I thought she was very strong all the way to the line and it was an impressive performance. She’s by Justify and they get better with age. As she steps up in trip she’s something to look forward to next year.”
Opera Singer is one of three Grade I winners out of Grade III winner Liscanna. That mare also produced Hit It a Bomb and Brave Anna. The mare’s other foals include the stakes placed duo of Threeandfourpence and Border Town.
Justify leads all second crop sires in every stakes category this year with 10 stakes winners and 19 stakes performers led by seven graded stakes winners. The stallion’s three Grade I winners is best of every Northern Hemisphere second crop sire.
The sire of 18 stakes-winners worldwide from his first two crops, Justify stands this spring in Australia at a fee of $77,000.
The only unbeaten Triple Crown winner, ever!
- The best son of the sensational stallion and sire of sires SCAT DADDY
- 6 wins by nearly 24 lengths and nearly $3.8m from 7-12f., from fast to sloppy tracks.
- 5 triple digit Beyer Speed Figures in 2018.
“It would entail a lengthy search to find a better representative of the Thoroughbred breed… Justify exudes power… In action, he brings the entire package: speed, stride, and stamina.” – The Blood-Horse
“a towering muscular Adonis of a horse” – Steve Haskin, The Blood-Horse
Yearlings in 2023 have already sold for $850,000, $750,000, $700,000, $675,000, $625,000, $625,000, $600,000, $600,000, $600,000 etc.
A sensational start! His top performers already include…
- Arabian Lion – winner of the Gr.1 Woody Stephens Stakes at Belmont Park & Sir Barton Stakes at Pimlico. Third in the Gr.1 H. Allen Jerkens Memorial Stakes
- Aspen Grove – winner of the Gr.1 Belmont Oaks & Gr.3 Newtownanner Stud Stakes at the Curragh
- Opera Singer – winner of the Gr.1 Marcel Boussac at ParisLongchamp by 5 lengths & the Gr.3 Newtownanner Stud Irish EBF Stakes at the Curragh by 6½ length for Aidan O’Brien
- City Of Troy – 6½-length winner of the Gr.2 Superlative Stakes at Newmarket
- Ramatuelle – defeated the colts by 4 lengths in the Gr.2 Prix Robert Papin & won the Gr.3 Prix du Bois by 5 lengths. Close runner-up in the Gr.1 Prix Morny
- Statuette – winner of the Gr.2 Airlie Stud Stakes at the Curragh
- Verifying – winner of the Gr.3 Indiana Derby. Runner-up in the Gr.1 Champagne Stakes, Gr.1 H. Allen Jerkens Memorial Stakes & Gr.1 Blue Grass Stakes
- Just Cindy – winner of the Gr.3 Schuylerville Stakes at Saratoga
- Champions Dream – winner of the Gr.3 Nashua Stakes at Aqueduct
- Red Riding Hood – winner of the Gr.3 Snow Fairy Fillies Stakes at the Curragh for Aidan O’Brien
- Unless – winner of the Listed Michael John Kennedy Memorial Irish EBF Stakes at the Curragh. Runner-up in the Gr.3 Royal Whip Stakes
- Justique – winner of the Desi Arnaz Stakes at Del Mar. Third in the Gr.2 Chandelier Stakes, Gr.3 Torrey Pines Stakes & Gr.3 Las Virgenes Stakes
- Justa Warrior – winner of the Debutante Stakes at Ellis Park
- Wonderful Justice – winner of the Black Gold Stakes at Fair Grounds
- Living Magic – winner of the My Dear Stakes at Woodbine
Also Stakes performers Alpha Bella, Tahoma, Prove Right, Harlocap, Rosie’s Alibi, Just Katherine, Secretive, Scentify, Capulet, Alpha Bella & Shamwari
Champion First Crop Sire in Australia, his first crop down under already includes…
- Learning To Fly – winner of the Gr.2 Reisling Stakes, Gr.3 Widden Stakes & Listed Inglis 2YO Millennium (R)
- Air Assault – winner of the Gr.3 Sires’ Produce Stakes
- Legacies – winner of the Listed MRC Anzac Day Stakes. Runner-up in the Gr.3 McNeil Stakes