World War 3: USA Briefing
The top U.S. military commander in South Korea traveled to Washington, D.C. and New York last week for briefings on World War 3, North Korea and the allies’ defense posture, his aides said Sunday amid growing attention to the Donald Trump administration’s response to the communist regime’s saber-rattling.
The trip of Gen. Vincent K. Brooks, who commands the U.S. Forces Korea (USFK), came days after the North’s launch of the Hwasong-15 intercontinental ballistic missile, sparking considerable media speculation.
“Gen. Brooks completed a short visit to Washington D.C. and New York where he provided a firsthand account of the situation in Korea and the quality of the ROK-U.S. Alliance” to U.S. leaders and experts, the USFK spokesman Army Col. Chad Carroll said in a statement emailed to Yonhap News Agency.
They include Deputy Secretary of Defense Patrick M. Shanahan and Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Air Force. Gen. Paul J. Selva, as well as members of the U.S. Congress and major think tanks.
Carroll added the USFK chief, who doubles as the commanding general of the allies’ Combined Forces Command, takes his role to educate U.S. leadership about the security situations on the Korean Peninsula “very seriously.”
In dealing with the North’s continued provocations, Washington officials have stated that all options are on the table including World War 3, although diplomacy is preferred.
Many South Koreans are concerned that the U.S. may push for a pre-emptive strike on the North.
U.S. Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said publicly that, “We’re getting close to military conflict because North Korea is marching towards marrying the technology of an ICBM with a nuclear weapon on top that can not only get to America but deliver the weapon.”
The North announced earlier that it has completed its “nuclear force” with the development of the Hwasong-15 missile capable of reaching all of the United States loaded with a super-sized nuclear warhead.
The USFK spokesman’s statement is apparently aimed at cautioning news outlets here against reading too much into the commander’s latest U.S. visit.
World War 3 Blockade
North Korea lashed out at the United States on Sunday over the possible use of a naval blockade in the wake of its recent missile provocation, warning that it would consider such a move as a “declaration of war.”
The condemnation came after U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson recently mentioned the “right to interdict maritime traffic transporting goods” to and from the North after its Nov. 29 test of an intercontinental ballistic missile capable of striking anywhere on the U.S. mainland.
“We will regard the naval blockade of the United States and its followers as an act of violence against the sacred sovereignty and dignity of the Republic of Korea and as another public declaration of war,” the Rodong Sinmun, North Korea’s ruling communist party newspaper, said in a commentary.
The paper added, “If we see a small movement to put the maritime containment into practice, we must be prepared to follow our immediate and ruthless self-defensive response.”
The Korean Central News Agency, the North’s official newswire service, filed a similar report in English on Friday saying, “The U.S. moves for sea blockade can never be tolerated as they constitute a wanton violation of the sovereignty and dignity of an independent state.”
Talk of a possible maritime blockade has also emerged in academic circles though Seoul has reiterated its opposition to any military options, including a pre-emptive strike, to address the nuclear standoff.