World War 3 Threat has Increased
ICBM adds to World War 3 Tensions
North Korea’s latest missile test has brought the world closer to a military conflict with the belligerent regime, a U.S. senator said Sunday.
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) was commenting on Tuesday’s launch of what North Korea claimed was an intercontinental ballistic missile capable of delivering a nuclear weapon to all parts of the U.S. mainland.
“We’re getting close to a military conflict because North Korea’s marching toward marrying up the technology of an ICBM with a nuclear weapon on top that cannot only get to America but deliver the weapon,” he said on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “We’re running out of time.”
Graham called for a congressional discussion on the possibility of a pre-emptive strike on North Korea.
“The policy of the Trump administration is to deny North Korea the capability to hit America with a nuclear-tipped missile, not to contain it,” he said. “Denial means pre-emptive war as a last resort. That preemption is becoming more likely as their technology matures.”
If North Korea conducts another nuclear test, Graham said, “then you need to get ready for a very serious response by the United States.”
Pyongyang last conducted a nuclear test in September and has since threatened to detonate a hydrogen bomb over the Pacific Ocean.
Graham said he would urge the Pentagon to stop sending dependents, along with U.S. troops to South Korea. About 28,500 American soldiers are currently stationed there to deter North Korean aggression following the 1950-53 Korean War, which ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.
“South Korea should be an unaccompanied tour,” the senator said. “It’s crazy to send spouses and children to South Korea, given the provocation of North Korea.”
It’s also time to start moving American dependents out of South Korea, he added.
Trump Ready for World War 3
U.S. President Donald Trump will “take care of” the growing nuclear threat from North Korea by taking unilateral action if necessary, his national security adviser said Sunday.
H.R. McMaster made the remark on “Fox News Sunday” after North Korea launched what appeared to be its most powerful intercontinental ballistic missile last week.
“The president is going to take care of it by, if we have to, doing more ourselves,” he said. “But what we want to do is convince others it is in their interest to do more.”
Trump remarked after Tuesday’s launch that “It is a situation that we will handle” and that “We will take care of it.”
He then threatened to impose additional sanctions on Pyongyang, although they have yet to be announced.
“China, as you know, has taken some unprecedented actions,” McMaster said, apparently referring to Beijing’s backing of recent U.N. Security Council sanctions against North Korea. “And what we’re asking China to do is not to do us or anybody else a favor but to act in China’s interest. There’s a real grave danger to China, to Russia, to all nations from a North Korea that is armed with nuclear weapons.”
McMaster also noted the potential threat should South Korea, Japan and other nations decide to go nuclear to defend themselves from the North.
“That is not in China’s interests. It’s not in Russia’s interests,” he said. “So what the president is saying is, we all need to take care of it.”
North Korea claimed Tuesday that its latest weapon was able to deliver a nuclear warhead to the entire U.S. mainland.
Many experts have concurred with the claim, although there are doubts as to whether the regime has mastered the technology to miniaturize nuclear weapons and secure their atmospheric re-entry.
On Saturday, McMaster told a defense forum that he thinks the possibility of war with North Korea is “increasing every day.”
“Every time he conducts a missile launch, a nuclear test, he gets better,” the lieutenant general said, referring to North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
US and South Korea Prepare
South Korea and the United States kicked off a major air force exercise here Monday against North Korea’s threats, with two dozen U.S. stealth jets mobilized.
The five-day Vigilant ACE (air combat exercise) comes less than a week after the North fired a new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) and declared the completion of its “nuclear force.”
The annual training has drawn keen media attention, although it was scheduled before the provocation.
It’s known as the largest-ever combined air force drill between the allies, involving more than 230 warplanes and around 12,000 personnel.
They include six F-22 Raptors and six F-35As, which have been deployed temporarily to Korea for the practice.
It marks the first time that six Raptors, not just a few, have joined an exercise simultaneously in Korea. A dozen F-35Bs operated by the U.S. Marine Corps will take part in the training, flying from their base in Japan.
Other assets include two B-1B Lancer bombers, six EA-18G Growler electronic warfare jets, and dozens of F-15C and F-16 fighter jets.
South Korea has fielded F-15K, KF-16, FA-50 and F-5 fighters, as well as other planes.
“It’s aimed at enhancing the all-weather, day and night combined air power operation capabilities of South Korea and the U.S.,” South Korea’s defense ministry said.
The allies will conduct the drills under various wartime scenarios, including simulated precision strikes on mock North Korean nuclear and missile targets, it added.
The U.S. Seventh Air Force said, “The realistic air combat exercise is designed to enhance interoperability between U.S. and Republic of Korea forces, and increase the combat effectiveness of both nations.”