World War 3: North Korea Defy Trump with Missile Launch
North Korea took some reckless steps today testing a missile that managed to fly 700kms, the move increased the chance of a pre-emptive strike that may start World War 3.
While military option against North Korea remains on the table, Washington is also pursuing diplomatic channels to address the issue. In particular, the US has persuaded China to apply more pressure on its communist neighbor.
China and Russia have condemned North Korea’s missile and nuclear tests, but both countries insist on resuming the stalled six-party talks initiative to solve Pyongyang’s nuclear issue.
“North Korea launched a ballistic missile at 5:27am this morning in Pyongan Province,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said, adding, that it is now analyzing the launch.
The US military tracked the launch, but said it was unlikely an intercontinental ballistic missile.
“The type of missile is being assessed and the flight was not consistent with an intercontinental ballistic missile,” added the spokesperson for the US military’s Pacific Command.
Donald Trump has been briefed on North Korea’s latest missile launch and believes Russia must be unhappy with the firing as the missile fell close to the country, the White House said Sunday.
White House press secretary Sean Spicer also reaffirmed the U.S. security commitment to allies South Korea and Japan and said the missile launch should serve as a call for all countries to carry out stronger sanctions on Pyongyang.
“The president has been briefed on the latest missile test by North Korea,” Spicer said in a statement. “With the missile impacting so close to Russian soil — in fact, closer to Russia than to Japan — the president cannot imagine that Russia is pleased.”
Spicer said the North has been a “flagrant menace for far too long.”
“South Korea and Japan have been watching this situation closely with us. The United States maintains our ironclad commitment to stand with our allies in the face of the serious threat posed by North Korea,” he said. “Let this latest provocation serve as a call for all nations to implement far stronger sanctions against North Korea.”
Chief Japanese Cabinet Secretary, Yoshihide Suga, called the latest test a violation of UN resolutions as he and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe condemned the move and issued a strong protest over North Korea’s actions.
Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary said North Korea launched the ballistic missile which flew for about 30 minutes before crashing into to the Sea of Japan. Suga added that the missile appears to have fallen outside of Japan’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Pyongyang’s ballistic missile flew around 700 kilometers, South Korea’s military said, according to Yonhap.
North Korea’s alleged ballistic missile test is the country’s first since South Korea elected Moon Jae-in as their new president. Saturday’s launch follows two previous failed attempts last month.
In North Korea
North Korea’s state media reiterated its position to enhance its self-defense capabilities Sunday as it test-fired what appeared to be a ballistic missile in defiance of the international community’s repeated warnings to stop provocations.
The Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of the ruling Workers’ Party, said the regime will continue building up its military for stronger self-defense as “the imperialist U.S. and its followers are notching up pressure on us” and “driving the situation of the Korean Peninsula out of control by warmongering.”
It didn’t specifically mention the missile test.
“Our military and people don’t blink an eyelash at any provocative actions by the enemies and will never give up on our powerful self-defense even for the whole world,” it said.
Latest posts by S. Jack Heffernan Ph.D (see all)
- Inglis response to ABC 7.30 Report - October 18, 2019
- Racing NSW Response to ABC 7.30 Report - October 18, 2019
- Ready2Race breeze ups, free brunch at Riverside tomorrow - October 17, 2019