US Transfers 15 Guantanamo Bay Prisoners to the UAE
The move marks the largest single transfer of Guantanamo detainees under the Obama Administration
The United States has transferred 15 inmates from the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba to the UAE, officials revealed Monday.
The move marks the largest single transfer of Guantanamo detainees during President Barack Hussein Obama’s Presidency.
The 12 Yemenis and 3 Afghans who were released were no longer deemed to pose a security threat to the US by a special task force that reviews Guantanamo inmates’ cases, the Pentagon said in a statement.
“The United States coordinated with the government of the United Arab Emirates to ensure these transfers took place consistent with appropriate security and humane treatment measures,” the Pentagon said.
Those transferred are, as follows:
- Abd al-Muhsin Abd al-Rab Salih al-Busi
- Abd al-Rahman Sulayman
- Mohammed Nasir Yahi Khussrof Kazaz
- Abdul Muhammad Ahmad Nassar al-Muhajari
- Muhammad Ahmad Said al-Adahi
- Abdel Qadir al-Mudafari
- Mahmud Abd Al Aziz al-Mujahid
- Saeed Ahmed Mohammed Abdullah Sarem Jarabh
- Mohammed Kamin
- Zahar Omar Hamis bin Hamdoun
- Hamid al-Razak
- Majid Mahmud Abdu Ahmed
- Ayub Murshid Ali Salih
- Bashir Nasir Ali al-Marwalah
The latest move brings the total number of detainees at Guantanamo down to 61, including many held for more than a 10 years.
It comes after Mr. Obama rolled out his plan earlier this year to shut down the facility.
“Keeping the facility open is contrary to our values,” he said in February. “It undermines our standing in the world. It is viewed as a stain on our broader record of upholding the highest standards of rule of law.”
According to reports, several detainees have been transferred to countries such as Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Yemen.
A US official said that the UAE had already resettled 5 detainees transferred from the facility in November 2015.
By Aarti Nagraj
Paul Ebeling, Editor