US Sending $184-M to States and Territories to Fight Zika
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are sending $184-M in funding to US states and territories to fight the Zika virus.
The funding is part of the $350-M in federal funding provided to CDC under the Zika Response and Preparedness Appropriations Act of 2016.
“Zika continues to be a threat to pregnant women,” said CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden. “States, territories, and communities need this CDC funding to fight Zika and protect the next generation of Americans,” he adds.
The virus is considered dangerous because it increases the possibility of serious brain damage in babies born to Zika-infected mothers.
The funding is going for the following programs:
- Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Zika Response Activities: $25-M dollars will go to 21 jurisdictions at greatest risk of Zika infections in their communities. These funds will be used to rapidly identify and investigate a possible outbreak of Zika virus in their communities; coordinate a comprehensive response across all levels of government and nongovernmental partners (including the healthcare sector); and identify and connect families affected by Zika to community services. About $97-M to 58 state, territorial, city, and local public health departments through the Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity for Infectious Diseases (ELC) Cooperative Agreement. This includes $22-M in emergency funds awarded to Florida and Texas earlier this fiscal year, both which have been dealing with homegrown Zika transmission.
- Zika Birth Defects Surveillance Activities: More than $8-M will go to 38 states, territorial, and local jurisdictions to establish, enhance, and maintain information-gathering systems to rapidly detect microcephaly found to be a serious birth defect of the brain, and other adverse outcomes potentially related to Zika virus infection during pregnancy.
- Vector-Borne Disease Regional Centers of Excellence: CDC is awarding nearly $40-M to 4universities to establish centers that can help effectively address emerging and exotic vector-borne diseases in the United States, like Zika.
- Vector Control Unit in Puerto Rico: The Puerto Rico Science, Technology and Research Trust (ST&R Trust) will receive $14-M the 1st vector control unit (VCU) in Puerto Rico, which CDC helped establish.
Notably, on the subject of non-toxic, efficient and inexpensive Zika virus control, Florida based Penta 5 USA has developed non-toxic repellent that takes the bite out of mosquitoes.
In late August 2016, I met with R. Charles Murray, Founder/CEO Penta 5 USA and learned that he has succeeded in developing a new class of products that can halt a Mosquitoe’s appetite for human Blood.
Penta 5’s products are non-toxic and environmentally friendly. Marketed under the brand name SECURE™ no-bite the line consists of lotions and “Zone Attractants.”
The latter take the form of pouches that are filled with dry and liquid patented compounds which when combined and shaken produce a gas emission that attracts mosquitoes.
The emission confounds the mosquito’s appetite for a protein “bloodmeal” and in so doing ensures a zone of up to 400 sqf for up to 15 days.
Continual use maintains a safe no-Bite Zone. No less effective, the SECURE™ Anytime™ lotion permits users to work and play in areas outside the zone infested by “bloodmeal” seeking mosquitoes without the fear of being bitten.
Mr. Murray told me that “SECURE™ no-Bite Zone attractants have been shown to effectively reduce mosquito populations and therefor reduce the risk of dangerous bites. Also, that only the female mosquitoe seek ‘bloodmeals,’ meaning the iron and proteins of which are used to form eggs.
SECURE™ no-bite Zone 15 day emission confounds the female mosquito causing her to seek nectar as a replacement meal. Penta5’s SECURE™ Anytime™ lotion allows people to move outside of the Zone, remain bite-free and significantly, the product poses no threat to children, pets or wildlife.”
Under test in both laboratory and outdoor conditions for the past year the release of SECURE™ no-bite products now as the Zika virus breaks out over South Florida is an important safety issue for the population and the commercial interest of the State of Florida.
Penta 5 USA LLC is the wellness product division of PPi Technologies GROUP. The PPi Technologies GROUP of companies are all based in Sarasota, Florida.
For more information go to: penta5usa.com/
Have a terrific week.
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- US Stock Market’s Direction is Based on Fed - July 21, 2019
- Gold,Gold Mining Stocks Are Appealing In Here - July 21, 2019
- FOMC Set on Fed Funds Rate Cut, How Much is the Big Q - July 21, 2019