US-China Tariff ‘Threats’ Have Ended, No Trade War Looming
The US trade war with China is “on hold” after the world’s 2 largest economies agreed to drop their tariff threats while they work on a wider trade agreement, US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Sunday.
Secretary Mnuchin and US President Donald Trump’s top economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, said the agreement reached by Chinese and American negotiators Saturday set up a framework for addressing trade imbalances in the future.
“We are putting the trade war on hold. Right now, we have agreed to put the tariffs on hold while we try to execute the framework,” Secretary Mnuchin said in a television interview.
Saturday, Beijing and Washington said they would keep talking about measures under which China would import more energy and agricultural commodities from the United States to close the $335 billion annual U.S. goods and services trade deficit with China.
During an initial round of talks earlier this month in Beijing, Washington demanded that China reduce its trade surplus by $200-B. No dollar figure was cited in the countries’ joint statement Saturday.
Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross planned to go to China, Mnuchin and Kudlow said.
“He’s going to be looking into a number of areas where we’re going to have greatly significant increases,” including energy, liquefied natural gas, agriculture and manufacturing, Mr. Kudlow said in a televised interview Sunday.
“We have specific targets. I am not going to publicly disclose what they are. They go industry by industry,” Secretary Mnuchin said.
Have a terrific weekend
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Sugar Loaded Sodas Harm Heart, Increase the Risk of Stroke - February 26, 2020
- F1: “This Ferrari SF1000 has achieved our goals” - February 26, 2020
- Communist Bernie Sanders and the “Dark Side of Momentum Investing” - February 26, 2020