Turkey Trying to Ignite World War 3 in Gulf
While the Arab quartet continues to pressure Qatar, its ally in the conflict, Turkey, remains firm in its support of the besieged kingdom. Ankara said it will continue to build up its military presence in Qatar despite the demand that Doha cease such cooperation.
“Turkish troops are coming to Qatar for the sake of the securıty of the entire region,” Qatari Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani told the press, as cited by Turkish media.
Erdogan has criticized the nations – including Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, Egypt, Yemen, the Maldives, and one of Libya’s three rival governments – which had broken diplomatic relations with Qatar over its alleged support of terrorism.
Qatar denied all the allegations and called the move a “campaign of incitement based on lies.”
The Turkish President has been trying to worsen the diplomatic dispute.
“Turkey’s steady buildup continues there, protecting the border and the security of the Qatari government,” Ilnur Cevik, an adviser to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, told Bloomberg Monday.
At the onset of the Gulf crisis, Ankara rushed through two security agreements with Doha that were signed in December 2015 and April 2016. Turkey’s Hurriyet newspaper reported that additional Turkish troops continue to arrive in Qatar.
So far, all efforts by the international community to resolve the crisis have produced little, if any tangible results. In the latest bid to end the stalemate, European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini announced that she will travel to Kuwait Sunday.
Mogherini’s intervention follows similar attempts by French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian. His visit was preceded by that of US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, and German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel.
The Washington Post report accusing the United Arab Emirates of being behind the alleged hacking of Qatar’s state media agency (QNA) is infallible proof of its responsibility for the attack, Qatari officials has said.
“The information published in the Washington Post revealed the involvement of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and senior Emirati officials in the hacking of Qatar News Agency,” the Gulf monarchy’s government communication office said in a statement, as cited by Reuters.
The statement went on to say that the Washington Post report “unequivocally proves that this hacking crime took place.”
Earlier Monday, the Washington Post reported that US intelligence had evidence proving that the United Arab Emirates orchestrated the hacking of the QNA, citing unnamed intelligence sources.