The Most Beautiful Mediterranean Islands
A holiday on the Mediterranean Sea features islands of romance, classic European culture, exotic food, and picturesque beaches.
Italy, Greece, and France dominate the Med, but you may be surprised at the other islands that can offer a vacation just as luxurious.
Below you will find the 5 very beautiful Mediterranean islands that will leave you wanting to go back once you have visited, as follows:
- Hvar, Croatia: Overshadowed by Italy and Greece, Croatia may not immediately jump out as a perfect place for a Mediterranean holiday. However, you’d be wrong, Hvar is both naturally beautiful and popular with party-lovers which, when combined, makes it one of the most interesting islands in the area. Sociable travelers should head to Hula Hvar, where watching the Sunset becomes an event. This is the place to be for cocktails when the Sun goes down. If you want to beat the crowds, head to the secluded Robinson’s Beach, the most pristine on the island. It boasts one restaurant serving a daily special and the clearest waters in Hvar. There are also some pretty cool wreck dive sites, the Paulina dates back to the 1800s.
- Sardinia, Italy: If a luxurious vacation on a gorgeous island is what you wish, look no further than Costa Smeralda in Sardinia. A getaway to the Emerald Coast is a total splurge with many of the seaside resorts boasting private beaches, sprawling grounds, and their own helicopter pads. The area is surrounded with superior restaurants, upscale boutiques, top brand shops, and sophisticated marinas. Do not forget about the beaches, this area is said to have the best in Europe with warm, clear Mediterranean waters, rocky outcrops, and golden sand.
- Cyprus Greece/Turkey: Hit 2 countries with one island with a visit to Cyprus. Settled off Turkey’s southern coast, the Turkish north is filled with Old City walls and castles reminiscent of past times. It is also got a happening nightlife and several great beaches. The divided capital, Nicosia, is a cultural heritage hotspot housing the island’s Old City, multiple historical mosques, and a 400-year-old Turkish Bath. There’s also a Whirling Dervish Show that takes place near the Selimiye Mosque 6 days a week. The southern part of the island boasts traditional villages, authentic foods, and nearly a dozen World Heritage Sites. There’s even something for scuba divers here. Off the southeast coast of the island lies one of the top wreck dives in the world, the Zenobia
- Sicily, Italy: It does not get much more culturally rich than Sicily. This island is perfect for people who want a varied vacation. Sicily offers piles of significant ancient history with a multitude of ancient Greek cities, the Doric Temple in Segesta, and the world’s most impressive display of surviving Roman mosaics at Piazza Armerina. Mount Etna, Europe’s largest active volcano, tempts outdoorsy folks into hikes around its craters. To reach the Top, take the cable car and be rewarded with sweeping views over Catania. After all the history lessons and physical exertion, you haved earned a day on Sicily’s most gorgeous beach, San Vito lo Capo.
- Corsica, France: Though owned by France for centuries, Corsica still retains its Italian culture, making it an interesting combination of nations. The island’s rocky and forested mountain terrain results in many hiking trails and the Scandola Nature Reserve (a UNESCO World Heritage Site). A half-day boat tour around the northwest coast is the best way to take in the red cliffs, rocky headlands, and secret coves, beaches and grottoes. Another protected area, Desert des Agriates is a gorgeous stretch of land that’s top-notch for pristine beaches. Canyoning in Corsica is the highlight as it allows visitors to walk, swim, and climb through trails and waterways while discovering the island’s beauty including naturally-formed rock slides.
They will take your breath away…
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Big Pharma Earnings Up Next Week - July 20, 2019
- Wall Street’s Focus: Risk and Yield - July 20, 2019
- Disney’s (NYSE:DIS) ‘Lion King’ is Expected to Rule the Box Office This Weekend - July 20, 2019