The new concept for the BMW Museum was developed out of the success and experience of its prior museum, whereby new emphasis was placed on stressing the importance of the BMW Museum as a brand.
Planning began in the spring of Y 2002, followed by radical redevelopment work in Y 2004, and culminating in the museum reopening in Y 2008.
BMW commissioned the Stuttgart architects and exhibition designers Atelier Brückner and the Berlin-based ART+COM media designers with the work.
The restoration of the building shell and other technical aspects were carried out by ASP Schweger Associates.
In view of the company’s importance as a global player and its extensive range of products, the new design provided for a considerable enlargement of the museum.
1st of all, the former museum bowl was connected with the neighboring low-rise building to increase the exhibition space from an original 1,000 sqm to 5,000 sqm, meaning the new museum now has sufficient space for the presentation of about 120 exhibits.
The Concept referred back to an idea by architect Prof. Karl Schwanzer, the creator of the BMW Museum in Y 1973. He defined the inner structure of the round building as a continuation of the road in an enclosed space. In the adjacent low-rise building, the notion was further developed in a contemporary manner with a modern reinterpretation of his vision of a ‘road in an enclosed space as the principle of dynamic architecture’.
Analogous to the structure in the round building, where platforms were placed like squares along the road, the exhibition areas in the neighbouring low-rise building are organised along a ramp which forms the central visitors’ path.
The bowl is reserved for temporary exhibitions, whereas the low-rise building provides space for an extensive theme park, for which its interior was gutted and completely restructured.
7 exhibition houses have been built in the low-rise building. Each of the houses has been given an individual ‘identity’ developed on the basis of the museum’s themes. This individual appearance creates a context for the exhibits and provides a set of reference points along the route through the museum, measuring approximately 1,000 metres in length. The tour route has been designed with no crossroads and takes the visitor to all 25 exhibition areas.
For BMW it all started with airplanes. However, after WWI they had to switch to building motorcycles, and soon thereafter, in Y 1928, the 1st BMW car was produced.
Similar to success and failure, there is a very thin line between mass production and motorsport, and it took the company less than 10 yrs to start racing the 328 model, which was introduced in Y 1936, 3 yrs later, in Y 1939, it took a class win at Le Mans, coming 5th overall.
There is much, much more, take the tour.
Enjoy the Tour
Have a healthy day, Keep the Faith!