Steering Your Dogs Away from the Hazards of Fall

Steering Your Dogs Away from the Hazards of Fall

Steering Your Dogs Away from the Hazards of Fall

Dog owners know that each change of season brings potential hazards for their pets,

Now at Fall is here and Winter on the way it is a good time for a refresher on some of the potential hazards presented by the change of seasons from warmer to cooler weather.

Consumer Affairs lists 5 “Dog dangers of Fall.”

The Fall Dangers for Dogs are as follows:

1. Snakes

Snakes preparing for hibernation during the winter months may be more visible in the fall, which can increase your dog’s risk of being bitten. Fortunately, most snakes in the US are not poisonous, but even a non-venomous snakebite can be dangerous for pets.

Tips to keep your dog safe:

If you see a snake, don’t walk by it; turn around and head back the way you came Clear away snake hiding spots in your yard by removing toys, tools and undergrowth
Be aware that snakes can strike across a distance equal to about half their body length Keep walkways clear of brush, flowers and shrubs
Clean up any spilled food, fruit or birdseed, which can attract rodents, one of snakes’ favorite foods, to your yard When walking your dog, keep him on a leash
Steer clear of long grasses, bushes and rocks Familiarize yourself with common snakes in your area, including those that are venomous

2. Mushrooms

Thankfully, 99% of mushrooms present little or no problem for pets or people, however, the remaining 1% can be fatal for most mammals if ingested.

And to make matters worse, very few people can tell the difference between a toxic mushroom and a safe one.

Since dogs typically come across wild mushrooms during walks and other outdoor activities, especially if you live in a region with lots of moisture, it’s important to take extra care to keep pets away from areas where mushrooms might be sprouting.

Dogs tend to be attracted to two deadly mushroom species: Amanita phalloides and Inocybe. Both varieties have a fishy odor, which may be the lure.

amanita phalloides
Amanita phalloides
autumn mushrooms
Inocybe

The Amanita muscaria and Amanita pantherina varieties of mushroom also have a fishy odor, and are also frequently eaten by dogs.

amanita muscaria
Amanita muscaria
amanita pantherina
Amanita pantherina

They contain the toxic compounds ibotenic acid and muscimol, which in some rare instances can cause death in dogs.

The Inocybe and Clitocybe mushrooms contain a compound called muscarine that can be lethal to dogs. Since muscarine does not seem to be a problem for humans, it is assumed dogs must be uniquely sensitive to it.

inocybe
Inocybe

Some Scleroderma mushroom species are also toxic to dogs, but the poisonous substance has not yet been identified.

scleroderma
Scleroderma

To ensure your dog is not tempted, mushrooms in yards should be removed promptly before neighborhood pets have a chance to notice them.

As a general rule, veterinarians and pet poison experts consider all mushroom ingestion’s in pets toxic unless a quick and accurate identification of the mushroom can be made.

If you know or suspect your dog has eaten a mushroom, immediately contact your veterinarian, the nearest emergency animal clinic or the 24/7 Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661.

If your pet throws up or poops, collect a sample, place it in a plastic bag and bring it with you.

3. Rodent poison

Once the weather turns cool, rats and other rodents start looking for shelter and warmth in and under buildings, and in response, people start putting out rodenticides that are unfortunately highly toxic to pets.

Homeowners put out bait to control the mice and rats, assuming their pet won’t or can’t get into it. Even people who hide the bait around their homes can wind up with a poisoned dog. Tips for protecting your pet from rodent bait toxicity:

  • If you have rodents around your home, I recommend a live trap called the Havahart®, which is a humane trap that catches mice, rats and other rodents so you can remove them from your home without using toxins or poisoning your environment.
  • If you must use a bait trap with a killing agent, select a product that contains an active ingredient other than deadly bromethalin. For example, diphacinone and chlorophacinone are short-acting anticoagulants, and most veterinarians will be familiar with standard methods of diagnosis and treatment. But again, I don’t advocate using these products if at all possible.
  • Supervise your dog when she’s outside to insure she never has a chance to consume rodents or rodent bait around your home or neighborhood.

If you suspect your pet has ingested any type of rodenticide, get her to your veterinarian or the nearest emergency animal hospital right away, and if possible, bring a sample of the product she consumed so the Vet staff knows what type of poison they are dealing with.

4.Engine coolants

Another substance people use in the colder months of the year that is highly toxic to pets is antifreeze. Fortunately, antifreeze poisoning can be easily avoided by following a few simple safety tips:

  • Look for antifreeze products containing the safer propylene glycol rather than highly toxic ethylene glycol
  • Keep antifreeze containers tightly closed and stored out of reach of your pets
  • Dispose of empty or used antifreeze containers properly
  • Be careful not to spill antifreeze, and if you do, clean it up immediately; check your car radiator regularly and repair leaks right away
  • Do not let your pet roam unsupervised where he may have access to antifreeze

US manufacturers of antifreeze and engine coolants have begun to add bittering agents (e.g., denatonium benzoate) to their products to discourage pets, children and wildlife from sampling the sweet-tasting liquid.

5. School supplies

Another risk the change of seasons from Summer to Fall presents for pets is, believe it or not, back-to-school supplies.

For example, if you have indulged your kids with fruit-scented pencils and erasers, they can attract your dog like a moth to a flame.

Common school supplies that present a potential choking hazard for pets include:

Erasers Glue sticks/bottled glue Coins Action figures/small dolls Bouncy balls
Crayons Markers Pencils (small splinters can get lodged in the mouth and esophagus) Pens (watch out especially for pen caps) Paperclips

While these items are considered “low toxicity” to pets, there is the potential for GI upset and even a blockage, so be sure the kiddos keep their school supplies out of reach of 4-legged family members.

Have a terrific weekend…

The following two tabs change content below.

Paul Ebeling

Paul A. Ebeling, polymath, excels in diverse fields of knowledge. Pattern Recognition Analyst in Equities, Commodities and Foreign Exchange and author of “The Red Roadmaster’s Technical Report” on the US Major Market Indices™, a highly regarded, weekly financial market letter, he is also a philosopher, issuing insights on a wide range of subjects to a following of over 250,000 cohorts. An international audience of opinion makers, business leaders, and global organizations recognizes Ebeling as an expert.

Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)

You must be logged in to post comments :  
CONNECT WITH