Shanghai Bobby Delivers at Royal Ascot
First crop Shanghai Bobby filly Shang Shang Shang (2f Shanghai Bobby-Yankee Victoria, by Yankee Victor) was the toast of Royal Ascot after winning the G2 Norfolk Stakes on Thursday.
Victory for the filly against colts – the first such success since Superstar Leo beat male rivals in 2000 – came in a great finish for the 5f event, getting US trainer Wesley Ward on the Ascot scoresheet for the first time this year.
— Coolmore (@coolmorestud) June 21, 2018
Shang Shang Shang, who was bred by Kris R Del Giudice, had scored at Keeneland on debut in April.
Ward said of the Joel Rosario-ridden winner: “To do this with a filly is quite unbelievable. I felt this filly was better than Chelsea Cloisters on firm ground, but not on soft ground. I feel good right now. This really is the best, and everybody has been so gracious.”
Rosario added: “She responded to everything I asked her to do. She broke well and was very calm in the beginning. I had to use a bit of her pace to get to the front and to help her get into her stride.
“This would have been a very different experience for her today in England, compared to running in America. She was very brave. It was very close at the finish, but we got it done.”
— Liz O'Connell (@nythoroughbred) June 22, 2018
Shanghai Bobby – An Undefeated dual Gr.1 winning Champion 2YO
Winner of his five 2YO starts over five different distances from 4½ furlongs to 1 1/16m
“He was a really great 2yo. He displayed his brilliant speed in the Hopeful and Champagne and then showed tremendous courage to win the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile.” Todd Pletcher
“a champion in every sense of the word” Steve Haskin, Bloodhorse.com, 01/22/13
Yearlings in 2017 sold for $175,000, $175,000, $145,000, $140,000, $135,000, $135,000, $110,000, $110,00, $110,000, $100,000, $100,000 etc.
Top performers include…
- Shang Shang Shang – dual winner including the G2 Norfolk Stakes at Royal Ascot for Wesley Ward.
- March X Press – dual winner, including the Bolton Landing Stakes at Saratoga. Placed in the Melody Of Colors Stakes, Mizdirection Stakes & G1 Natalma Stakes.
- Gotta Go – dual winner including the Street Sense Stakes & runner-up in the G3 Swale Stakes at Gulfstream Park.
- Mr. Pete – dual winner including the Aspirant Stakes & runner-up in the New York Breeders Futurity.
- Spirit of Shanghai won impressively on debut at Santa Anita & third in the Landaluce Stakes.
- Bobby Ax – MSW winner over 6f. at Gulfstream Park & runner-up in the Kiss A Native Stakes.
- Shangroyal – dual winner for Wesley Ward, runner-up in the Texas Glitter Stakes & third in the Tom Ridge Stakes.
- Touchdown Trojans – MSW winner over 5½f. for trainer Henry Dominguez & runner-up in the Permian Basin Stakes.
- Shivermetimbers – MSW winner over 8f. & fourth in the G3 Sham Stakes at Santa Anita.
- Kazan – third in the Del Mar Juvenile Turf Stakes.
- Wolverette – third in the Jamestown Stakes.
Other winners include Amiability, Cool Bobby, Shanghai Noon, Lady Blessings, Big and Loud, Shangroyal, It’s A Doozy, Black Horus, Shanghai Tariff, Lady By Choice, Hubbadahubbadaboom, Vital, Blinded Vision, Shanghaied Roo, Shanghai Starlet, Hong Kong Gardens,Sparky, Bobby’s Song, Shanghai Glory, Shanghai Rain, Shanghai Fantasy, Sports Betting, Shanghai Point etc.
Latest posts by S. Jack Heffernan Ph.D (see all)
- Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris at ParisLongchamp - April 22, 2019
- Australia’s Horse Racing and Breeding Industry Needs Strong Political Representation - April 13, 2019
- Ben Currie Vs Darren Weir: Extremes are Hurting Australian Racing - April 12, 2019