Rio Tinto Limited (ASX:RIO) HEFFX Highlights
- When Rio Tinto opens the resources sector reporting season tomorrow, the focus will be on increased cash returns, not governance issues, even after Rio’s Guinea problems were upgraded to a corruption probe last week and its lead independent director recently stepped down over separate fraud charges.
- Investors will be keen to see just how much of a step-up in capital returns is on the way with commodities prices strong, gearing levels well below target, operations running well, capital requirements limited and cash from a Hunter Valley coal sale on the way.
- And all indications are that Rio’s first-half report, to be delivered after the market closes tomorrow, will divert from a tradition of leaving excess shareholder return announcements to its full-year profit announcement.
- Chief executive Jean-Sebastien Jacques, who joined Rio after the Guinea events that have drawn the probe, has been highlighting shareholder returns as a key point of difference between Rio and its mining peers.
Rio Tinto Limited (Rio Tinto) is a mining company. The Company is focused on finding, mining and processing of mineral resources. Its segments include Iron Ore, Aluminum, Copper & Diamonds, Energy & Minerals, and Other Operations. Its products include aluminum, copper, diamonds, gold, industrial minerals (borates, titanium dioxide and salt), iron ore, thermal and metallurgical coal, and uranium. The Iron Ore product group’s operations are located in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. The Company’s business includes bauxite mines, alumina refineries and a range of aluminum smelters. The Copper & Diamonds product group has managed operations in Australia, Canada, Mongolia and the United States, and non-managed operations in Chile and Indonesia. The Energy & Minerals has operations across six sectors: borates, coal, iron ore concentrate and pellets, salt, titanium dioxide and uranium.
Overall, the bias in prices is: Upwards.
Short term: Prices are moving.
Intermediate term: Prices are trending.
Note: this chart shows extraordinary price action to the upside.
The projected upper bound is: 68.55.
The projected lower bound is: 63.38.
The projected closing price is: 65.96.
RIO TINTO FPO closed up 0.160 at 65.950. Volume was 28% below average (neutral) and Bollinger Bands were 37% narrower than normal.
Open High Low Close Volume
66.330 66.700 65.950 65.950 1,677,420
Short Term: Neutral
Intermediate Term: Bullish
Long Term: Bullish
Moving Averages: 10-period 50-period 200-period
Close: 64.32 63.04 61.07
Volatility: 27 26 33
Volume: 2,034,612 2,281,590 2,412,273
Short-term traders should pay closer attention to buy/sell arrows while intermediate/long-term traders should place greater emphasis on the Bullish or Bearish trend reflected in the lower ribbon.
RIO TINTO FPO is currently 8.0% above its 200-period moving average and is in an upward trend. Volatility is relatively normal as compared to the average volatility over the last 10 periods. Our volume indicators reflect volume flowing into and out of RIO.AX at a relatively equal pace (neutral). Our trend forecasting oscillators are currently bullish on RIO.AX and have had this outlook for the last 19 periods. The security price has set a new 14-period high while our momentum oscillator has not. This is a bearish divergence.
Momentum is a general term used to describe the speed at which prices move over a given time period. Generally, changes in momentum tend to lead to changes in prices. This expert shows the current values of four popular momentum indicators.
One method of interpreting the Stochastic Oscillator is looking for overbought areas (above 80) and oversold areas (below 20). The Stochastic Oscillator is 73.0250. This is not an overbought or oversold reading. The last signal was a buy 4 period(s) ago.
Relative Strength Index (RSI)
The RSI shows overbought (above 70) and oversold (below 30) areas. The current value of the RSI is 61.03. This is not a topping or bottoming area. A buy or sell signal is generated when the RSI moves out of an overbought/oversold area. The last signal was a sell 49 period(s) ago.
Commodity Channel Index (CCI)
The CCI shows overbought (above 100) and oversold (below -100) areas. The current value of the CCI is 107.This is an overbought reading. However, a signal isn’t generated until the indicator crosses below 100. The last signal was a buy 4 period(s) ago.
The Moving Average Convergence/Divergence indicator (MACD) gives signals when it crosses its 9 period signal line. The last signal was a buy 0 period(s) ago.
Latest posts by John Heffernan (see all)
- Wilmar International HEFFX Highlights - August 4, 2019
- Golden Agri-Resources HEFFX Highlights - August 4, 2019
- Yangzijiang Shipbuilding Holdings HEFFX Highlights - August 4, 2019