“Pears are in season now and it is a good choice to add to our eating plan“–Paul Ebeling
Homer, the author of the Odyssey called pears “gift of the gods.” That was in 800 BC, and people still agree.
- Pears were cultivated in 5000 BC in China by Feng Li, a Chinese diplomat as a commercial venture.
- The Chinese believed that the pear was a symbol of immortality.
- In Greek and Roman mythology, pears are sacred to 3 goddesses.
- Pears are members of the rose family.
- There are more than 5,000 varieties of pears
- Pear trees can produce fruit for up to 100 yrs.
- Pears were cultivated to become the sweet juicy taste we know today.
- Pears are Powerfoods.
- Pears have more nutrients per calorie than calories per nutrient. They are a Smart Carb.
- Pears are a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, copper & vitamin K.
- Pears are often considered a hypoallergenic fruit that is less likely to produce an adverse response than other fruits by healthcare practitioners.
- And pears are often the 1st fruit fed to infants as a safe way to start.
Best for eating fresh or juicing are Bartlett, Starkrimson, and Comice as they are really juicy!
Eat healthy, Be healthy, Live lively