President Trump’s approval rating is at 50%, according to a new poll revealing he is winning back support with swing voters and coming out slightly ahead of the frontrunners for the Democratic Presidential nomination.
“Trump is doing well and winning back support with important swing voters: Independents [42% at least somewhat approve/52% at least somewhat disapprove], Hispanics [45% at least somewhat approve/55% at least somewhat disapprove] and women [44% at least somewhat approve/53% at least somewhat disapprove],” pollster Jonathan Zogby reported in his latest Zogby Analytics survey.
President Trump’s overall support is 50% positive to 48% negative, according to the poll, which surveyed 865 likely voters, divided equally among the parties. The poll carried a margin of error of plus or minus 3.3 percentage points.
Zogby noted President Trump is doing well with part of the traditional Democrat base and with the most “vulnerable voters,” including people who:
- Lost a job: 65% at least somewhat approve/33% at least somewhat disapprove.
- Afraid of losing a job: 52% at least somewhat approve/45% at least somewhat disapprove.
- At a job that pays less: 52% at least somewhat approve/47% at least somewhat disapprove.
- Gone without food for 24 hours: 57% at least somewhat approve/44% at least somewhat disapprove.
However, voters were nearly evenly divided in matchups with Democratic candidates:
- Trump, 46%; ex-Vice President Joe Biden, 45%.
- Trump, 44%; ex-New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, 42%.
- Over Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., 47%-45%.
- Over Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., 47%-43%.
- Over South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, 45%-41%.
Zogby said Messrs Sanders and Bloomberg are winning with independents when matched up against President Trump, Zogby said.
Have a Happy New Year Week