Tuesday, President Trump said “a lot of progress” had been made toward ending a volatile standoff with Iran, with his top diplomat saying Tehran had signaled willingness to negotiate over its disputed ballistic missile program.
Earlier, Iran’s FM said Tehran would discuss its missile program after Washington stopped arming allies Saudi Arabia and the UAE, something the United States is unlikely to do.
The disclosures came hours after Iran’s supreme leader upped the ante in the brewing confrontation by warning Tehran would continue removing restraints on its nuclear activity and retaliate for the seizure of an Iranian Oil tanker.
Tensions have risen since President Trump last year ditched big powers’ Y 2015 nuclear deal with Iran under which it agreed to curtail its nuclear program in return for the lifting of global sanctions crippling its economy.
Washington has since reimposed draconian sanctions to throttle Iran’s Crude Oil trade in a policy of “maximum pressure” on Tehran to agree stricter limits on its nuclear capacity, curb its ballistic missile program and end support for proxy forces in a Middle East power struggle with US-backed Gulf Arabs.
After threats from Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to push on with breaches of the nuclear deal, President Trump suggested to a Cabinet meeting at the White House that Iran wanted to talk with its archenemy.
“A lot of progress has been made. We’ll see what happens. But a lot of progress has been made,” President Trump said.