Tuesday, President Trump expressed displeasure with a tentative deal by congressional negotiators on border security spending that offered no funds for his promised US-Mexican border wall, but did not reject it outright, indicating he did not expect another government shutdown.
President Trump demand for $5.7-B from Congress to help build the Wall, said he has yet to decide whether to support the agreement reached on Monday night by Key Democratic and Republican lawmakers.
Funding for the Department of Homeland Security, the Justice Department and a host of other agencies is due to expire on Friday under the stopgap spending measure passed last month by Congress to end the longest federal shutdown in US history.
“I have to study it. I’m not happy about it,” President Trump told reporters at the White House about the tentative funding deal, which would need to be passed by the Democratic-led House and Republican-controlled Senate and signed by him.
The tentative deal included border security provisions and money for the affected parts of the government funded through 30 September, the end of the federal fiscal year.
He sent mixed messages about another shutdown.
“I don’t think you’re going to see a shutdown,” President Trump said, but he added: “If you did have it, it’s the Democrats’ fault.”
Also Tuesday, President Trump made comments that fits with the idea of declaring a national emergency.
“The bottom is on the wall: We’re building the wall,” President Trump said, adding, “we’re supplementing things, and moving things around, and we’re doing things that are fantastic and taking, really, from far less important areas.”
Making and Keeping America Great!