The publicity former US Defense Secretary James Mattis got over his resignation letter, has caused President Trump to appoint a new Defense Secretary Sunday morning, ensuring that General Mattis is out of the administration fast. Read Mad Dog Mattis was sacked!
“I am pleased to announce that our very talented Deputy Secretary of Defense, Patrick Shanahan, will assume the title of Acting Secretary of Defense starting January 1, 2019. Patrick has a long list of accomplishments while serving as Deputy, & previously Boeing. He will be great!” President Trump Tweeted.
The move comes just 3 days after General Mattis resigned in protest over President Trump’s decision to pull all US troops out of Syria.
General Mattis said he would stay through February to ensure an orderly transition, President Trump did not want him around period, that has been coming since September.
Mr. Shanahan is a former Boeing Co. (NYSE:BA) executive who joined the administration in Y 2017.
Also, President Trump revealed that he had talked with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on the state of ISIS in Syria.
“I just had a long and productive call with President Erdogan of Turkey,” Trump tweeted. “We discussed ISIS, our mutual involvement in Syria, & the slow & highly coordinated pullout of US troops from the area. After many years they are coming home. We also discussed heavily expanded Trade.”
A Syrian war monitor and Turkish media said Sunday that Turkey is massing troops near a town in northern Syria held by a US-backed and Kurdish-led force.
Turkey said it would delay a promised offensive in Syria following President Trump’s decision to withdraw US troops.
But President Erdogan vowed to dislodge the Kurdish fighters, who Turkey views as an extension of the insurgency within its borders. The US had partnered with the Syrian Kurdish militia to drive out the Islamic State.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the reinforcements were sent to the front line with Manbij, where US troops have been based. The Turkish IHA news agency reported Sunday that a convoy of Turkish troops had been sent into Syria overnight.
President Trump was displeased with General Mattis’ letter posting on Saturday that he “gave Mattis a second chance” after Obama “ingloriously” fired him from his post as leader of the United States Central Command. “Allies are very important,” President Trump wrote, “but not when they take advantage of US.”
Sunday, sacked Defense Secretary James Mattis said the transition to a new department head will go smoothly.
“SecDef Mattis will work with Deputy [Patrick] Shanahan and department leadership to ensure the DOD remains focused on the defense of the nation during this transition,” Dana White, the assistant to the Secretary of Defense for public affairs, wrote in a Tweet.
Of course, General Mattis does not want a 2nd Black Mark from his Commander-in-Chief in his service record book.
The statement came after President Donald Trump said that Mattis will leave his position on 1 January, 2 months before he previously planned to depart, and that Shanahan, Mattis’s deputy, will serve as acting Chief of the Pentagon.
Making and Keeping American Great!
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Vienna (Wein), the Most Livable City in the World - October 22, 2019
- China Trade Talks on Target for Deal in November - October 22, 2019
- Grape Seed Extract Can Lower Risk of Heart Disease - October 22, 2019