The “French Grand National”, the Président de la République Chase (Gr3) is the best-rated handicap run at Auteuil with € 155,000 in prize money. They are 20 at the start this year to take the outer steeple-chases course, over the distance of almost 3 miles.
The race is usually held in April and has been delayed due to the health crisis.
All the horses are therefore coming back since none has been able to run since the beginning of March …
- 1. The Golden Boy (g7, FRA by Myboycharlie and Adjira, by Montjeu) Rating: 143
He will run his fifth chase here and has just won easily in this speciality for his return to the Auteuil, which earned him a penalty of 12 pounds, making him the top-weight here.
- 2. Shakapon (g8, FRA by Deportivo and Sheyry Story, by Sheyrann) Rating: 143
He was still racing when he unseated his rider at the big open-ditch in the Ferdinand Dufaure 4yo Chase (Gr1) in 2016 and was not seen again for nearly two years. He won shortly after his career resumed at Auteuil, and took up places in Pau, but was again out from March to November 2019. He returned over hurdles at Toulouse, then in chasing at Pau, winning the Grand Prix (Gr3) prep race, but he fell jumping the wall in the main race. He went back to Toulouse and won there over hurdles again.
- 3. Kapdam (g5, FRA by Kapgarde and Rainbow Line, by Martaline) Rating: 147
Second in the Maurice Gillois 4yo Chase (Gr1) last year at 4, he finished fourth in the Robert de Clermont-Tonnerre Chase (Gr3) for his comeback and his debut against aged horses. He won at 4 years under 10st 12lbs and carries an additional pound this time, but he’s grown too.
- 4. Montgeroult (g6, FRA by Kapgarde and My Samsara, by Trempolino) Rating: 141
Winner of this event last year, he failed several times afterwards, first in facing the best chasers, and then over hurdles, where he performed better for his return to Auteuil on March 1.
- 5. Spanish One (g6, FRA by Spanish Moon and Anyone For Tennis, by Night Shift) Rating: 141
Second in the Jean Stern 4yo Chase (Gr2) then fourth in the Maurice Gillois 4yo Chase (Gr1), he did not run for 20 months after that. A winner this winter at Pau on his second attempt, in a Hurdle handicap, he unseated his rider when still well in the race for his return chasing at Auteuil and took the third place, two weeks later.
- 6. Pinson of Rheu (g9, FRA by Al Namix and Vénus du Rheu, by Bricassar) Rating: 141
He has raced only nine times in the past three years and now seems to perform better at Cagnes-sur-Mer, where he won in November but lost his jockey at the decisive moment in the Grand Prix of Nice (Gr3) in January when he didn’t seem to be beaten yet. He then went to take an honourable second place at Auteuil on the steeplechase, under 71 kilos in difficult terrain.
- 8. Violon de Brejoux (g11, FRA by Balko and Eoline de Bréjoux, by Fast) Rating: 139
He won two consecutive handicap chases at Pau and then Auteuil in early spring 2019, which earned him a 18 lbs climb on the weight scale. Fifth for his next attempt, he went hurdling and returns here chasing with a mark only 2lbs lesser than when he failed.
- 9. Vauquoise (f8, FRA by Ungaro and Vamuna, by Varese) Rating: 139
Fifth of the last two editions of the Drags Chase (Gr2) in June, she did not run from June to February and finished fifth for her return under 11st 3lbs on heavy ground, 18 lengths behind Pinson du Rheu, carrying the same weight than him.
- 10. Full Glass (g7, FRA by Diamond Green and Full Tune, by Green Tune) Rating: 136
Third in the Morgex 4yo Chase (Gr3) won by Edward d’Argent, he was then gelded and exported to England, where he did not succeed. Returning to France this winter, he resumed competition in this country with a third place on the Bordeaux steeplechase in a lesser lot.
- 11. Al Roc (g9, FRA by Great Pretender and Al Cov, by Sassanian) Rating: 135
Sixth in the Montgomery Handicap Chase (Gr3), equivalent to this race in the Autumn, in 2017 under 9st 11lbs, he won a handicap Chase at Auteuil last July, beating Guyonne. With a 12lbs penalty, he went hurdling without much success and finished sixth in the Grand Prix de Nice Chase (Gr3) at Cagnes this winter. He then ran twice over hurdles at Auteuil and finished second on his last outing.
- 12. Cafertiti (g8, FRA by Fairly Ransom and Ofertiti, by Art Bleu) Rating: 132
Tenth in this race last year with the same handicap mark, he won his handicap in June but was again outclassed in the Montgomery Handicap Chase (Gr3).
- 13. Fou Délice (g5, FRA by Poliglote and Gladice, by Cadoudal) Rating: 137
One of the three 5-year-old runners in this race, he finished fifth in the Troytown Chase (Gr3) for his come back and his first race against older horses. He had ended his 2019 season with two wins at Auteuil and is not badly positioned in the weight scale.
14. Chahuteur (g8, FRA by Saint des Saints and Redowa, by Tempolino) Rating: 132
Third in this race last year with a rating of 130, which made him the top-weight of the race, he was however clearly beaten in the Autumn version, the Montgomery Handicap Chase (Gr3). It was in October and he hasn’t run since.
- 15. Ediboum (g6, FRA by Buck’s Boum and Scintillante d’Or, by Nononito) Rating: 128
He has fallen five times in twenty races but now seems safer. He won a handicap chase in January which got him a 6lbs penalty and could not carry it out on his next outing in Pau, but took an honourable fourth place at Auteuil just behind D’Jango in a race won by The Golden Boy in heavy ground.
- 16. No Risk For You (f6, FRA by No Risk at All and Café Blum, by Muhtathir) Rating: 128
She has already won twice at Auteuil including once in a handicap which earned her a 6lbs penalty. Impressive in November over 2m3f, she received a 4lbs penalty for that and has run twice over hurdles since, including once in March at Fontainebleau.
- 16. D’Jango (g7, FRA by Balko and Quizas Jolie, by Video Rock) Rating: 126
He hardly ever fails to make the frame Few but won only twice. He’s done pretty well last Winter at Pau and has just finished third for his return to Paris at a lower level.
- 17. Fanfaron Spécial (h5, FRA by Gentlewave and Ultra Special, by Robin des Prés) Rating: 128
He is one of three 5-year-olds in the race. Put aside his fall for his chasing debut at Auteuil, he always finished in the top five chasing over this racecourse, even under 11st 5lbs, as last time over 2m2f for his return here.
- 18. Guyonne (f7, FRA by Nombre Premier and Gymnote, by Cardoun) Rating: 121
The older sister of a runner in the Prix Texanita (Gr3), a sprint run on Wednesday at Chantilly, she won once chasing at Auteuil but at a lower level. She also finished 4th last year in the Jean Victor Chase against some of her rivals here, and under similar weight conditions. A consistent mare, winner this winter at Cagnes, she raced over hurdles for her return at Fontainebleau.
- 19. Surdoué de Ballon (g7, FRA by Turgeon and Nile Breeze, by Phantom Breeze) Rating: 119
This brother to the champion chaser Docteur de Ballon is consistent in this class but he won only once, in Compiègne when rated 115. He ran this winter at Pau and was fourth last time out at Angers on March 8, in a lower handicap.
- 20. Blue Crystal (g5, FRA by Blue Brésil and Crystale de France, by Northern Crystal) Rating: 110
Third on March 1 on this course, he is rated at least 8lbs lower than all of his rivals and will run as an outsider.