Parents Divided on Whether to Let Kids Play Tackle Football
A day before this year’s Super Bowl, an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll shows that Americans are sharply divided on whether they would encourage a child who wanted to play football to choose a different sport because of growing concerns about concussions.
The poll found that 48% of Americans say they would prefer the child to play a different sport, + 8 points from a similar poll taken 4 years ago. It found that 49% would not try to talk their child out of playing football.
- 46% of parents with a child would discourage football — up 9 points since 2014.
- 53% of mothers +13 points, and 39% of fathers + 6 points would discourage football.
- 33% of Americans believe the National Football League (NFL) has tried to reduce and prevent concussions, down from 41% from Y 2014.
- 28% said the NFL had not done enough, that + 8-point increase since Y 2014.
The poll comes after findings of brain disease in deceased NFL football players, and after a spate of players refusing to stand for the National Anthem.
- 49% say they follow the NFL closely, – 9 points from the last poll.
- 51% say they do not follow it closely, + 9-points from the last poll.
The biggest declines in NFL followers are in groups making up much of US President Trump’s political base, including Whites men.
President Trump has blasted NFL players for taking part in the protests.
The telephone poll of 900 adults was taken 13-17 January, It has a margin of error 3.3%.
Have a terrific weekend.
Latest posts by HEFFX Australia (see all)
- Hong Kong: HANG SENG INDEX (.HSI) HEFFX Charts and Technicals - September 22, 2020
- Number of Bitcoin: BTC/USD (BTC=X) ATMs Exceeds 10K - September 22, 2020
- Gold 1 OZ (XAU=X) Support At $1720 - September 22, 2020