“Natural Remedies for Back Pain as Effective as Rx Painkillers”
Back pain is among the most common health conditions in the US, it afflicts up to 80% of Americans at some point in their lives with such severity that they must seek a Doctor’s care.
The treatment of choice for many Doctors has traditionally been Rx painkillers, which raise the risks for addiction, overdose, and life-threatening side effects.
A recent report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicates that US overdose deaths from narcotic painkillers and other opioid drugs have 3X’d since Y 1990 and now add up to about 40 every day.
Note: Thursday, US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy sent this letter to 2.3-M American Doctors asking for their help to curb what’s being called an “unprecedented” epidemic of opioid painkiller overdose deaths. It’s the 1st time in history that a Surgeon General has sent a letter directly to American physicians.
Dr. Kaliq Chang, says there’s a better way, “Natural remedies that are at least as effective as pain medication.”
“Rates of back pain experienced by 8 in 10 American adults regardless of age only increase with advancing years because of the gradual breakdown of bone, joints, and muscles,” says Dr. Chang, an interventional pain management specialist board-certified in anesthesiology at Atlantic Spine Center.
“But all is not lost with the passage of time: Older adults can take many effective steps to build their back strength and prevent spine-related pain.”
Dr. Chang says that a wide variety of conditions which cause back pain, particularly in older Americans and that arthritis, herniated discs, spinal stenosis, and osteoporosis can be treated and prevented with non-drug natural alternatives in order to boost health and strengthen your back.
“Although the odds of spine problems certainly rise with age, that does not mean older adults can’t build back strength and do their part to prevent some age-related spine conditions,” Dr. Chang says.
His strength-building and pain prevention tips include the following strategies:
- Get regular exercise. Daily physical activity can not only ease muscle tension and inflammation, but strengthen back muscles all of which combats pain. “This helps your core to be stronger and more supportive of your spinal column,” Dr. Chang explains, “making injuries less likely.”
- Maintain a healthy weight. Extra pounds, particularly around your middle, can shift your center of gravity and strain your lower back. “Staying within 10 pounds of your ideal weight is the goal, and may help control back pain,” he says. For most Americans, 67% of whom are overweight or obese, according to the CDC, so losing 5-10% of body weight can do miracles to ease back pain.
- Practice good posture. If you work at a desk and spend long hours sitting, keep knees a little higher than your hips while seated, and look for chairs with a straight back or lower-back support. Also, when walking, keep your head up and your abdomen muscles pulled in. And try to stand up from your desk, and take a short walk every 30 mins.
- Do not smoke. Smoking is not good for any health promotion efforts, and back health is no exception, Dr. Chang says. “Smoking lessens the flow of nutrients to spinal discs, so smokers are especially susceptible to back problems,” he adds.
- Pick a better Bag or Briefcase. The best bag or briefcase to prevent back problems has a wide, adjustable strap that can reach over your head and be worn diagonally. Messenger-style bags distribute the weight in the bag more evenly which helps to lessen the strain on shoulder and back muscles.
- Lift carefully. Always lift heavy or bulky objects by bending at the knees, not at the waist. “Do not twist while lifting,” Dr. Chang advises, “and if it’s possible, push rather than pull heavy objects.”
If you have back pain, you have the power to help yourself, do it naturally.
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Cryptocurrencies, the Week in Review - September 23, 2018
- Romantic Places to Travel with Your ‘Significant Other’ - September 23, 2018
- “Iran’s Government Will Be Overthrown” - September 23, 2018