Muslim Refugees have launched a wave of terror across Europe
People from 34 different countries were among the victims of the vehicle attacks in the Spanish city of Barcelona and the nearby town of Cambrils. At least 14 people were killed and over 100 injured.
Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIL/ISIS) claimed responsibility for the attack in Barcelona’s popular tourist street, Las Ramblas.
A man plowed a van into pedestrians on a popular tourist street in Barcelona, killing 14 people and injuring more than 100 others. Hours later, terrorists launched a second attack in the seaside town of Cambrils, injuring seven people, one of whom later died. Police killed five terrorist cell members and detained four suspects believed to be behind the attacks. At least one remains at large.
Stabbing occurred in Finland and Germany.
A number of stabbing attacks have taken place across Europe in recent months. In late July, a knife-wielding man shouting “Allahu Akbar” attacked police on the Spanish-Moroccan border, injuring an officer. The suspect was immediately arrested.
That same month, an asylum seeker went on a stabbing spree at a supermarket in the German city of Hamburg, killing one person and injuring several others. Hamburg State interior minister Andy Grote said the man was known to authorities as a radicalized Islamist.
Earlier in June, an attack on London Bridge saw terrorists stab people at Borough Market after plowing into pedestrians with their vehicle.
Catalan police have identified the five terrorists who were shot dead in Cambrils. Authorities say the Barcelona and Cambrils attacks, which left 14 people dead and some 130 others injured, was their plan B after a bombing plot was disrupted by the explosion in Alcanar.
All five of the alleged terrorists are Moroccans. The list of dead suspects includes Omar Hychami, 21, born in Morocco; 19-year-old Moroccans Houssaine Abouyaaqoub and Said Aallaa; Mohamed Hychami, 24, born in Morocco and Moussa Oukabir, 17, according to Europa Press.
On Thursday afternoon a van plowed into pedestrians on a popular tourist street in Barcelona, killing 13 people and injuring more than 100 others. Hours later, terrorists launched a second attack in the seaside town of Cambrils, injuring seven people, one of whom later died.
Authorities believe the two attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils are directly linked to Wednesday night’s explosion in Alcanar where police discovered at least 20 gas containers.
Investigators believe the house, which was destroyed in the blast, served as a safe house for a terrorist network, and that an accidental explosion prevented the suspects from carrying out a much bigger attack.
“The Alcanar blast triggered the attacks… It’s not what they had in mind initially,” Trapero said, according to Reuters. “The blast has prevented a larger bombing from happening.”
The stabbing incident took place at 4:02pm local time when a knife-wielding man attacked eight people in downtown Turku, according to General Markus Laine, Commissar of the Crime Commission.
Out of eight people injured in the incident, two have since died, the Central Bureau of Investigations said.
The director of Turku University Hospital, where the victims and the attacker are being treated, said all of the victims were adults.
Police said the incident was not being investigated as a terror attack. This could change, however, should new evidence come to light.
The security intelligence police (Supo) are also involved in the investigation.
“We are working internationally with Europol and other countries” as part of the investigation, Laine said.
Latest posts by S. Jack Heffernan Ph.D (see all)
- Don’t Let Jussie Smollett Stop You from Working Towards a Better America - February 19, 2019
- Cruise Halong Bay Vietnam - February 19, 2019
- Australian Economic Outlook - February 19, 2019