Mr. Spock, “Live long and prosper”
People in the 21st-Century are taking advantage of the longevity revolution, it is 1 that promises a longer life than their grandparents could have imagined.
But, good health and quality of life depends on wise choices.
There are some basic guidelines that will keep our brains sharp, our muscles and bones strong, and our blood flowing through open, flexible veins so that we can thrive.
As medical science defeats more diseases, even people who become seriously ill are living longer and longer. Yet in the US a corrupted food supply, sedentary lifestyle, the obesity and diabetes epidemics and a surge in deaths from illicit drug use, suicide and gun violence are shortening lives. .
Today, the number of people living to be 100 is skyrocketing.
In Y 2000, there were 50,281 centenarians and in Y 2014 there were 72,197, a 44% increase.
In Y 2016, the National Center for Health Statistics revealed that death rates in the US rose for 8 of the Top 10 leading causes of death: heart disease, cancer, respiratory problems, unintentional injury, stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, influenza/pneumonia, kidney disease and suicide.
US life expectancy declined for the 1st time in over 20 years.
About 33% of American adults are obese, and obesity shortens your life by 8 years, while heart disease reduces longevity for about 610,000 Americans annually.
A recent study found 17 years post-heart attack, the survival rate for White men was just 8.3% (1st heart attack at 66 anni), while the rate for White women (1st heart attack at 70 anni) was 6.7%; survival rates for Black American men and women were 5.4 and 5.8%, respectively
Friends, 80 to 90% of chronic disease in the US is preventable these days
The solution is this, as follows:
1. Eat a plant-based diet, and know when to get the nutrients you need, and when you need hydration make it water, tea and black coffee, do not drink drinks with added sugars. Keep animal protein as a side dish and no processed meats or foods.
2. Move often. While it’s essential to get 30-plus mins of added physical activity daily and 3 strength-building workouts a week, it’s as important to move as often as you can; take a break from sitting hourly, and walk around in the Sun
3. Sleep well, and that means for 8 hours nightly in the dark and quiet.
5. See your doctor regularly for recommended screenings to spot potential problems and fix them.
Do all of the above and you will “live long and prosper”
Eat healthy, Be healthy, Live lively
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- The 5 Safest Cities in the World - October 13, 2019
- Box Office: ‘Joker’ Laughs with another $55-M in North America - October 13, 2019
- US Q-3 Earnings, Here They Come - October 13, 2019