With the Christmas season here, most Americans say religion is an important part of their lives, but some do not think religion can solve all their problems, according to a Gallup poll taken between 3-12 December and released Christmas Eve.
Among 1,025 American adults:
- 72% said religion is important;
- 51%, very important;
- 62% of Christians said religion is very important;
- 46% said religion does not solve all problems.
The Poll also found:
- Among those who attend church every week, 81% say religion answers most problems, compared with 58% who attend nearly weekly or monthly and 27% who attend less often than that;
- 63% of Protestants say religion can answer most problems.;
- 46% of Catholics say it answers most problems;
- 73% of people who don’t identify with a religion say it is out of date and old-fashioned.
Gallup said the poll shows the long-term decline in the importance of religion in people’s lives, noting a Y 1952 poll showing 75% saying religion is very important and 20% saying it is fairly important.
The percentages remained about the same in Y 1965, but by Y 1978 dropped to 52% very important and 32% fairly important.
Since then, the numbers have only been higher than 61% of people saying religion was very important 2X: 64% in Y 2001 after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and 65% 1 year later.
In July a poll found that 61% of Black millennials say religion is very important to them. Only 38% of other millennials share this view.
The same pattern holds on other faith-related questions.
For example, among Black millennials, 75% are absolutely certain that God exists. For other millennials, that number is 48%.
At the same time, older Black Americans have a stronger commitment to religion than Black millennials. Among older Black Americans, 81% say religion is very important to them and 86% are absolutely certain God exists.
Have a Happy Christmas!
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Ferrari (NYSE:RACE) 1 Year After Marchionne’s Passing, Stronger Than Ever - July 18, 2019
- Gold Needs Something Special to Power Through the Key Resistance - July 18, 2019
- DJIA Could Top 30,000 with USMCA, Interest Rate Cuts - July 18, 2019