Islamic Terrorists Strike Barcelona 13 Dead 100 Injured
A van has crashed into a crowd in Barcelona killing 13 people and injuring 100 others, according to Catalonia authorities. Police say they are treating the incident as a “terrorist attack.” Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS, ISIL) claimed responsibility for the attack through it’s Amaq news agency.
Catalan police have engaged and killed 4 terrorist suspects and captured one following a shootout in the coastal town of Cambrils, some 100km from Barcelona. At least 6 civilians were injured in the incident.
“We have killed the alleged perpetrators,” Catalan police announced on Twitter. “We work on the hypothesis that the events of Cambrils respond to a terrorist attack.”
Vehicles have been used to ram into crowds in Europe in a series of Islamic terrorist attacks since July 2016, when the driver of a truck plowed into people celebrating Bastille Day in Nice, France, killing 86 people. Similar attacks have since taken place in Berlin, London and Stockholm.
The Spanish passport of a person of Moroccan origin was left at the scene of the attack, Barcelona’s TV3 reported.
Media reports say the suspect behind the attack is a man by the name of Driss Oukabir.
The vehicle used in the attack was a rented Fiat van. The perpetrators had also rented a second car with which they had planned to flee, according to La Vanguardia.
Police located the second van connected to the attack in the Catalan town of Vic, Reuters reported, citing local authorities.
A white van smashed into a crowd on the famous La Rambla, a street popular with tourists visiting the city.
The crash occurred after the van jumped the sidewalk, AP reported.
Catalan Police said they were treating the incident as a terrorist attack.
Two people have been arrested in connection with the deadly van attack in Barcelona, Catalan’s regional head Carles Puigdemont has said.
Catalan Emergency Services tweeted that an incident occurred near Plaça Catalunya and advised people to avoid the area.
It said in a second tweet that the closure of rail stations in the area had been requested.
Authorities have cordoned off the area and shut down nearby stores. A helicopter could be seen hovering above the scene.
An explosion Wednesday night in Alcanar Platja is believed to be linked to Las Ramblas attack in Barcelona, regional authorities have said. Initially, police presumed it was a gas leak that caused the destruction of a house that lead to at least one death and several injuries.
At least one person died and another six were injured in the explosion at around 11.15pm Wednesday night in the village of Alcanar Platja in southern Catalonia.
Firefighters discovered about 20 gas cylinders while examining the scene of the blast.
Documents found by police among the rubble have made it possible to establish the link, local media reported. Neighbors at the sight of Wednesday’s explosion maintain the house was inhabited by two brothers of Maghreb origin.
Trapero, however, did not specify if a second explosion in Alcanar Platja on Thursday afternoon was related to the Barcelona atrocity.
Latest posts by S. Jack Heffernan Ph.D (see all)
- Don’t Let Jussie Smollett Stop You from Working Towards a Better America - February 19, 2019
- Cruise Halong Bay Vietnam - February 19, 2019
- Australian Economic Outlook - February 19, 2019