Hurricane Irma Has Florida Under State of Emergency
Caribbean Islands brace for fierce Hurricane Irma, now a Category 4 Storm
Hurricane Irma, may cause the Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the season might begin sooner than expected, as Florida is put under a state of emergency.
The NFL is considering moving the Dolphins-Bucs opener in Miami to another site or earlier this week because of the hurricane, a person familiar with the discussions said Monday.
The teams are not talking publicly about the options.
Switching the game to Thursday or Friday is being considered, the person said, because Irma could threaten South Florida over the weekend.
Kickoff is scheduled for 1:oop EDT Sunday.
Playing the game at another site Sunday is also being discussed, the person said. The teams share the same bye week in November, but would prefer to avoid moving the game to that weekend, because it would mean both teams would play 16 weeks in a row.
If the game is moved to earlier this week, the decision must be made by Tuesday because of the logistics involved, the person said. The decision will be made by the league with input from the teams, the person said.
“We will monitor the situation throughout the week and remain in close communication with both clubs and local officials,” said the vice president of football communications for the NFL.
Miami Dolphins coach Adam Gase said he has received updates on the status of the game but declined to discuss options.
“They tell us when to play and show up,” Coach Gase said. “We just kind of wait and see right now.”
Miami receiver Kenny Stills said there had been talk among the players about a possible change in the schedule.
“We know the situation, and people are talking about the game being moved,” Mr. Stills said. “All we can do is get prepared for this game, and when it comes, it comes. If they tell us to play tomorrow, we play tomorrow. I’m good with whatever they got.”
Another concern for the Dolphins is potential damage to their stadium. A new canopy added last year was built to withstand a Category 4 hurricane.
Latest posts by HEFFX Australia (see all)
- Buy Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) Now or Wait for Dip? - October 20, 2020
- Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) Stock Could Fall 50% From Here If Selling Continues, Buy Low Sell High - October 20, 2020
- Is Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) Stock About To Crash? - October 20, 2020