All Hail the Emperor: Honorius Settles in at Stud
Honorius (Holy Roman Emperor) has settled in like a Champion at Larneuk Stud in Victoria.
Honorius has seen a steady flow of mares in his first season and has had his first mares test positive for pregnancy.
Honorius is a son of Danehill’s highest ever rated 2YO Holy Roman Emperor, a Champion 2YO himself and internationally successful Group One producing sire.
Holy Roman Emperor’s 54 stakes winners include Hong Kong Horse Of The Year, Designs On Rome and his progeny have also enjoyed Group One success in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, England, France and the United States.
Claiming his second Hong Kong Champion Sire title having won it previously in 2014 before finishing second in 2015 and 2016, Holy Roman Emperor is the sire of 10 individual G1 winners in seven different countries.
Honorius won himself as a two year old twice, once in listed company, showing that he was quick to get going and he actually ran seven times as a two year old.
As a three year old he placed in races ranging from 7f up to 1m4f, making him have the potential to sire 1m Guineas winners, 1m4f Derby or Oaks winners, all the way up to 1m6f St Leger winners. Later in his career as an older horse, Honorius himself ran over 1m5f showing he does have plenty of stamina.
Honorius should be able to sire similar types who can race at two and make his name in the Australian Sires ranks, before going on to compete in the British classics as three year olds. By racing until he was seven, Honorius also showed he is tough and durable, a trait that is vital when looking for a stallion.
• Winning the Group 3 Craven Plate at Randwick over 2000m
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Gloaming Stakes to IT’S A DUNDEEL (DUNDEEL) over 1800m
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Norman Robinson to HVASSTAN over 2000m.
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Frank Packer Plate over 2000m.
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Kingston Town over 2000m.
• 3rd in the Gr.1 Spring Champion Stakes to IT’S A DUNDEEL (DUNDEEL) over 2000m.
• 3rd in the Gr.1 Queensland Derby over 2400m to HAWKESPUR.
• 3rd in the Gr.3 Grand Prix to HAWKESPUR over 2200m.
• 3rd in the Listed MING DYNASTY over 1400m.
• 5th in the Gr.1 Epsom to HE’S YOUR MAN and ROYAL DESCENT over 1600m by only 1.8 lengths.
Latest posts by S. Jack Heffernan Ph.D (see all)
- Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris at ParisLongchamp - April 22, 2019
- Australia’s Horse Racing and Breeding Industry Needs Strong Political Representation - April 13, 2019
- Ben Currie Vs Darren Weir: Extremes are Hurting Australian Racing - April 12, 2019