F1: Spanish Grand Prix, Hamilton Tops 1st Free-practice
MercedesAMG’s Lewis Hamilton set the fastest times Friday morning following their surprise upgrades ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona Sunday.
The German outfit currently lead the F1 Constructors’ Championship following Valtteri Bottas’ 1st win at Sochi last time out. Friday morning they topped their 1st practice session since the opening race in Australia.
Lewis Hamilton led the pack ahead of his teammate, as the 3X World Champion looks to close the 13 point gap between him and current leader Sebastian Vettel in his Ferrari (NYSE:RACE).
It was well known that Red Bull would be making several changes to their racers and it looks like the improved aerodynamic alterations are already paying dividends as Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo were within 0.5 secs of the Ferraris, though the upgrades were not expected until Brazil,
The MercedesAMG team surprise car improvements worked quickly, so much so that their concerned that they may come dominate the pack for the season, as they have for the previous 3 years.
Outside of the Top 3 F1 teams (MBZAMG, Ferrari, Red Bull), Haas is encouraged after Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean came 7th and 8th, respectively Friday in FP-1
Nico Huklenberg and Carlos Sainz completed the Top 10 as all 10 teams ran the medium Pirelli tire’s on the warm Barcelona track.
The pain continued for Fernando Alonso who completed just corners before his McLaren’s Honda engine blew up in his face due to an oil leak and left him with several hours to kill.
The Spaniard decided to leave the track after failing to get any laps in the car at his home circuit.
It is just the latest disappointment for the former Ferrari driver who spent last week driving at Indianapolis where he declared that that he is open to a return to The Scuderia next season.
Reigning Spanish Grand Prix champion Max Verstappen had ambitions of a late session push, but events prevent him from doing so
Full Free Practice results (1) for the F1 Spanish Grand Prix at the Circuit de Catalunya, Round 5 of the 2017 F1 World Championship.
1. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes – Mercedes 1m 21.521s
2. Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes – Mercedes 1m 21.550s
3. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari – Ferrari 1m 22.456s
4. Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari – Ferrari 1m 22.600s
5. Max Verstappen NED Red Bull – TAG 1m 22.786s
6. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull – TAG 1m 23.084s
7. Kevin Magnussen DEN Haas-Ferrari 1m 23.670s
8. Romain Grosjean FRA Haas-Ferrari 1m 23.758s
9. Nico Hulkenberg GER Renault – Renault 1m 23.993s
10. Carlos Sainz ESP Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 24.004s
11. Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 24.188s
12. Esteban Ocon FRA Force India-Mercedes 1m 24.324s
13. Stoffel Vandoorne BEL McLaren-Honda 1m 24.400s
14. Felipe Massa BRA Williams – Mercedes 1m 24.618s
15. Daniil Kvyat RUS Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 24.642s
16. Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber – Ferrari 1m 24.966s
17. Pascal Wehrlein GER Sauber – Ferrari 1m 25.182s
18. Lance Stroll CAN Williams – Mercedes 1m 25.919s
19. Sergey Sirotkin RUS Renault – Renault 1m 26.293s
20. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda No Time
all times unofficial
CLICK HERE to follow trackside updates on Twitter
|NYSE:RACE||84.13||12 May 2017||1.15||82.56||84.4||82.5||568,800|
|HeffX-LTN Analysis for RACE:||Overall||Short||Intermediate||Long|
|Very Bullish (0.50)||Bullish (0.44)||Very Bullish (0.60)||Bullish (0.46)|