F1: Spanish Grand Grand Prix, Hamilton Takes the Pole
On the Top of the Grid Sunday: Hamilton, Bottas, Vettel, Raikkonen, Verstappen & Riccardo
Lewis Hamilton set the newly surfaced Barcelona track record 2X Saturday afternoon to a record-extending 74th Pole position.
“We always want to push the boundaries, and one of the exciting things this year is that we are breaking records,” said Mr. Hamilton just after a lap of 1min 16.173sec, 3 secs faster than the time he set in claiming Pole at the Circuit de Catalunya last year. “So, in future, we should be at least as fast as we have been this year.”
That, a quip at the notion of slowing down the cars in the future in an attempt to make this Tier 1 motorsport more democratic or politically correct by its new American owners Liberty Media (NASDAQ:LMCA).
For my money, I want to see the cars faster and louder!
Ferrari’s (NYSE:RACE) Sebastian Vettel will seek to close a 4-point deficit to Mr. Hamilton in Sunday’s Spanish Grand Prix.
While Mr. Hamilton had a good race with Mr. Vettel in Barcelona last year, he put up a super performance in qualifying Saturday, with a near-flawless lap to edge out MercedesAMG team-mate Valtteri Bottas on the front row. It is “what I needed” he said.
All 3 Top teams look very quick Saturday.
Lewis Hamilton had enough pace to take the Pole, ending Ferrari’s run of 3 straight Pole positions.
Note: Drivers starting on the front row have won 25 of the 27 Grands Prix at Barcelona.
We’ll be back tomorrow at around 1pm for all the build-up, live updates and reactions for the Spanish Grand Prix.
Spanish Grand Prix qualifying results:
- Lewis Hamilton (Gbr) Mercedes GP 1mins 16.173secs
- Valtteri Bottas (Fin) Mercedes GP 1:16.213
- Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Ferrari 1:16.305
- Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:16.612
- Max Verstappen (Ned) Red Bull 1:16.816
- Daniel Ricciardo (Aus) Red Bull 1:16.818
- Kevin Magnussen (Den) Haas F1 1:17.676
- Fernando Alonso (Spa) McLaren 1:17.721
- Carlos Sainz (Spa) Renault 1:17.790
- Romain Grosjean (Fra) Haas F1 1:17.835
- Stoffel Vandoorne (Bel) McLaren 1:18.323
- Pierre Gasly (Fra) Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:18.463
- Esteban Ocon (Fra) Force India 1:18.696
- Charles Leclerc (Mon) Sauber-Ferrari 1:18.910
- Sergio Perez (Mex) Force India 1:19.098
- Nico Hulkenberg (Ger) Renault 1:18.923
- Marcus Ericsson (Swe) Sauber-Ferrari 1:19.493
- Sergey Sirotkin (Rus) Williams 1:19.695
- Lance Stroll (Can) Williams 1:20.225
- Brendon Hartley (Nzl) Scuderia Toro Rosso No Time