F1: Nico Rosberg Wins European GP at Baku, Ferrari’s Vettel Takes 2nd
MercedesAMG’s Nico Rosberg won the inaugural European GP at Baku, Azerbaijan Sunday.
With the win Mr. Rosberg boosted to his Championship chances. He now holds a 24-pt lead over his team mate Lewis Hamilton.
Mr. Rosberg led the field away for the 1st of 51 laps.
While many expected there to be at least one Safety Car due to the narrow streets that made up the Baku City Circuit, the race was ran almost incident free, with the only damage on Lap 1 being sustained to the Haas F1 car of Esteban Gutierrez, who lost his front wing.
I thought after watching the 21 lap GP2 Sprint race earlier that the GP would be exciting…
Mr. Rosberg dominated from Pole
Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo was not able to make the most of his starting spot in 2nd place, as he came in for his 1st pit stop too early, and lost out on strategy to the Ferrari (NYSE:RACE) Team of Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen.
However, Mr. Raikkonen did not finish 3rd. Knowing that 5 secs would be added to his time immediately following the race after he crossed the pit line early on in the event, Mr. Raikkonen let Force India’s Sergio Perez by in the closing laps of the F1 race. Mr. Perez finished 3rd.
Behind Messrs Perez and Raikkonen, Lewis Hamilton came 5th after problems with his ERS system. The system had been set to the wrong settings, but the team could not radio him the correct settings due to F1’s recent radio clampdown. Finally, Mr.Hamilton got the right settings late on in the race, but he was unable to run the cars ahead of him down.
Unofficial Baku GP race results:
1. Nico Rosberg – Mercedes
2. Sebastian Vettel – Ferrari
3. Sergio Perez – Force India
4. Kimi Raikkonen – Ferrari
5. Lewis Hamilton – Mercedes
6. Valtteri Bottas – Williams
7. Daniel Ricciardo – Red Bull
8. Max Verstappen – Red Bull
9. Nico Hulkenberg – Force India
10. Felipe Massa – Williams
11. Jenson Button – McLaren
12. Felipe Nasr – Sauber
13. Romain Grosjean – Haas
14. Kevin Magnussen – Renault
15. Jolyon Palmer – Renault
16. Esteban Gutierrez – Haas
17. Marcus Ericsson – Sauber
18. Rio Haryanto – Manor
19. Fernando Alonso – McLaren (DNF)
20. Pascal Wehrlein – McLaren (DNF)
21. Carlos Sainz – Toro Rosso (DNF)
22. Daniil Kvyat – Toro Rosso (DNF)
|NYSE:RACE||42.14||17 Jun 2016||0.74||41.6||42.36||41.56||267,900|
|HeffX-LTN Analysis for RACE:||Overall||Short||Intermediate||Long|
|Neutral (-0.18)||Bearish (-0.25)||Neutral (-0.21)||Neutral (-0.07)|
Have a terrific week.
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Dow Jones’ Earnings are at Record Highs Vs the Price of Gold - November 18, 2018
- Get Out of the Office and Work on the Road - November 18, 2018
- Just Cutting Calories is Not the Key to Losing Weight - November 18, 2018