F1: Lewis Hamilton ‘Sunday Drives’ to Victory in Spain
Sunday, Lewis Hamilton drove a comfortable victory at the Spanish Grand Prix, as Ferrari’s (NYSE:RACE) came in 4th.
The safety car’s appearance was brought about by crash that saw Nico Hulkenberg and Pierre Gasly wiped out by a spinning Romain Grosjean on the opening lap.
With Mr. Vettel way off Hamilton’s pace and Kimi Raikkonen forced into retirement with an engine problem, the biggest challenge to MercedesAMG threatened to come from Red Bull Racing’s decision to adopt a 1-stop strategy.
But MercedesAMG pitted 10 laps ahead the 2Red Bulls, managed their tires to the finish on a cool day in May.
Mr. Vettel’s hopes were dampened by slow 2nd pit stop under the virtual safety car, that left him to 4th, as Mr. Bottas and Max Verstappen joined Mr. Hamilton on the podium.
1. Lewis Hamilton (MercedesAMG)
2. Valtteri Bottas (MercedesAMG): +20.593s
3. Max Verstappen (Red Bull): +26.873s
4. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari): +27.584s
5. Daniel Ricciardo (Renault): +50.058s
6. Kevin Magnussen (Haas): +1 lap
7. Carlos Sainz (Renault): +1 lap
8. Fernando Alonso (McLaren): +1 lap
9. Sergio Perez (Force India): +2 laps
10. Charles Leclerc (Sauber): +2 laps
1. Lewis Hamilton (MercedesAMG) 95
2. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) 78
3. Valtteri Bottas (MercedesAMG) 58
4. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 48
5. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) 47
1. MercedesAMG 153
2. Ferrari 126
3. Red Bull 80
4. Renault 41
5. McLaren 40
F1’s next stop will be its most iconic, as the season arrives on the streets of Monte Carlo on 27 May.
See you there.
Have a terrific week.