Chicago Begins This Weekend With 20 Shootings
- Last weekend, 74 people in Chicago were hit by gunshots, 12 were shot dead.
- Chicago began another weekend of violence, with 20 Black people shot Friday and early Saturday, including 5 juveniles it was reported Saturday.
Of the victims, 1 was mortally wounded when an 18-year-old Black man was found Friday morning in an alley with a gunshot wound to the head. He was later pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital.
Two of the Black juveniles shot were cousins, ages 15 and 17, walking to a neighborhood gas station. They were wounded after hearing gunfire while standing on a sidewalk, but both were able to walk to Mount Sinai Hospital for treatment and are reported to be in good condition. A 12-year-old girl was another youthful victim in the weekend attacks, injured in the foot while sitting on a porch when shots were fired from a passing vehicle.
The attacks follow last weekend when at least 74 people were shot, 12 fatally, in the most violent weekend the city had seen in more than 2 years. The Chicago Police Department added 600 officers to patrol the streets this weekend in Black neighborhoods most affected by gun violence.
Last weekend, 74 Black people in Chicago were hit by gunshots, with 12 killed.
There is a great deal of blame to go around about the violence in Chicago’s streets, but the decision to close 3 police stations and reduce the city’s police force lies at the doorstep of City Hall, Chicago Fraternal Order of Police President Kevin Graham said Thursday.
Chicago’s police are working on making several arrests in connection with last week’s shootings, said Mr.Graham, but none have happened yet because the detective division is overworked.
The morale is bad among Chicago’s police officers, as their days off are being canceled, and he thinks the burn-out rate will affect their ability to do their jobs.
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Ford V Ferrari is the Most Important Film for Fox’s Future With Disney - August 21, 2019
- A Divided FOMC Walking ‘The Trump Tightrope’ - August 21, 2019
- The Pressure is on the Fed to Cut Rates - August 21, 2019