Celebrity Opinions Do Not Sway Majority of Voters
US Representative Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), a candidate in Tennessee’s US Senate race, during a TV interview pushed back against pop star Taylor Swift’s Instagram post that questioned her voting record on women’s issues
Ms. Swift’s declaration that she plans to vote for Democrats next month broke a noticeable silence on political matters. In her post to her 1-M-plus followers on Instagram, she said she would “like to continue voting for women in office” but was appalled and terrified by Blackburn’s voting record.
Fully 58% of Americans are not interested in the political and social views of celebrities, a new Hollywood Reporter/Morning Consult poll reveals.
The survey showed just 30% are interested in the celebrities’ opinions.
Here is how the poll breaks down:
- 61% say they believe the entertainment industry is liberal, while 8% say it is conservative, and 10% say the industry has no political leaning.
- 55% say celebrity opinions on political and social issues are effective in influencing Democrats, 13% say celeb views are not very effective, and 8% say they are not at all effective.
- 31% say celebrity views on the issues are effective in influencing Republicans, 13% say they are not very effective, while 8% say they are not effective at all.
- 71% say it is appropriate for a celebrity to encourage people to vote, while 13% say it is not appropriate.
- 42% say it is appropriate for a celebrity to speak in support of President Donald Trump, while 36% say it is not appropriate.
- 38% say it is appropriate for a celebrity to criticize President Trump, compared to 43% who say it is not appropriate
The poll, conducted between 9/27-10/1, surveyed 2,192 people. The margin of error is plus or minus 2%.
Keeping America Great
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Ride the Swiss Glacier Express in Luxury - November 12, 2019
- Thailand’s Brilliance Shone at Thai Night at the American Film Market 2019 - November 12, 2019
- Ferrari (NYSE:RACE): SWB Stands for ‘Short Wheelbase Berlinetta’ (Video) - November 12, 2019