$DIA, $SPY, $QQQ, $RUTX, $VXX
FLASH: Progress of President Trump’s Policies Bringing On Continued Stock Buying Interest
US futures point to a higher start this morning with sentiment boosted by US lawmakers reaching an agreement in principle to possibly avert another government shutdown later this week.
The S&P 500 futures trade 18 pts, or 0.7%, above fair value.
|Strong: Energy, Financials, Materials|
|Weak: Real Estate, Utilities|
Congress and President Trump will still have to approve the deal before the 15 February deadline, but the progress was encouraging to hear after the prior impasse.
Investors will also keep an eye for any signs of progress on the latest round of US-China trade talks, which have entered their 2nd day today.
Separately, several Fed officials are expected to speak in separate events today.
- Fed Chairman Jerome Powell is slated to speak at the Hope Enterprise Corporation Rural Policy Forum in Mississippi at 12:45p EST.
- Kansas City Fed President Esther George (FOMC voter) will speak at 5:30p EST
- Cleveland Fed President Loretta Mester (Non-FOMC voter) will speak at 6:30p EST.
Notable movers pre-market trading this morning.
Shares of Coty (COTY 11.39, +1.73) are up 17.9% after JAB Holding Company commenced a tender offer to acquire up to 150-M additional shares of Coty at $11.65/share in cash.
Elli Mae (ELLI 99.10, +17.18) has spiked 21.0% after news that the company has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by private equity firm Thoma Bravo for $99/share in cash, or approximately $3.7-B.
On the data front, investors will receive the JOLTS – Job Openings report for December at 10:00a EST.
The NFIB Small Business Optimism Index for January decreased to 101.2 from the prior reading of 104.4 in December.
US Treasuries are under some selling pressure, pushing yields higher across the curve. The 2-yr yield is + 3 bpts to 2.51%, and the 10-yr yield + 2bpts to 2.68%.
.DXY is down 0.1% to 96.93.
NYMEX WTI Crude Oil up 2.3% to $53.59bbl.
Have a terrific day!
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- The Street’s Key Stock Analysts Research Reports - September 18, 2019
- Asia: Gold, Crude Oil, Stocks, Commodities and Currency Pairs - September 18, 2019
- Gold’s Market Price Hanging in Place - September 17, 2019