Build a Bigger, Better Brain by Making Smart Choices
The human brain is not programmed to shrink and fail as a matter of course as we age.
In fact, we can build a bigger, better brain by making smart choices.
Lifestyle strategies that promote neurogenesis and regrowth of brain cells include the following.
All of these strategies target a specific gene pathway called BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor), which promotes brain cell growth and connectivity as demonstrated on MRI scans.
Do this for optimum brain growth, as follows:
- Exercise. Physical activity produces biochemical changes that strengthen and renew not only the body but also the brain particularly areas associated with memory and learning.
- Reduce overall calorie consumption; intermittent fasting can help with this.
- Reduce carbohydrate consumption, including sugars and grains.
- Increase healthy fat consumption. Beneficial health-promoting fats that the body and brain in particular, needs for optimal function include organic butter from raw milk, organic grass-fed raw butter, olives, organic virgin olive oil and coconut oil, nuts like pecans and macadamia, free-range eggs, wild Alaskan salmon and avocado, for example.
- Increase your omega-3 fat intake and reduceconsumption of damaged omega-6 fats (i.e., processed vegetable oils) in order to balance your omega-3-to-omega-6 ratio. Krill oil works well for this because, like wild Alaskan salmon it contains astaxanthin, which appears to be particularly beneficial for brain health.
As explained by Dr. David Perlmutter, author of “Grain Brain,” it belongs to the class of carotenoids and is very “focused” on reducing free radical-mediated damage to fat, our brain is 60 to 70% fat .
Research reveals that 93% of Americans believe maintaining brain health is very or extremely important, however, few are aware of the many holistic approaches available maintain the brain.
Learn about it and do it for good health.
Eat healthy, Be healthy, Live lively
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Asia: Gold, USD, Crude Oil, Stocks & Commodities - June 27, 2019
- Fed’s Dovish Pivot Drives Gold’s Rally - June 27, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) Surges, is this Another ‘Climax’ Run? - June 27, 2019