This article at a glance:
- Clinical research shows you can reverse not only Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure but also heart disease through lifestyle changes that can be boiled down to “Eat well, move more, stress less and love more”
- These 4 lifestyle components form the basis of Dr. Ornish’s Program for Reversing Heart Disease, which is approved for reimbursement under Medicare’s intensive cardiac rehabilitation program and many insurance companies
- Diet, exercise, stress reduction and heart-based connections actually alter gene expression involved in the development of heart disease, diabetes, prostate cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer
- Ornish’s program, currently available in 18 states, is divided into 18 4-hr sessions, which include supervised exercise, meditation and stress management, a support group and more.
- A team of health care providers; a doctor, nurse or nurse practitioner, meditation/yoga teacher, exercise physiologist, dietitian and psychologist can become a certified provider of the Ornish program
For the past 40 yrs, Dr. Ornish has directed clinical research showing you can reverse not only Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure but also coronary heart disease, even severe cases through lifestyle changes that can be boiled down to “Eat well, move more, stress less and love more.”
Eat healthy, Be healthy, Live lively