Bonhams Fine Watches and Wristwatches Sale London
Bonhams Fine Watches and Wristwatches sale took place on 20 June, and saw an impressive 80% of lots sold, achieving a total of £1,840,438 overall.
The Top lot of the sale was the Rolex Paul Newman Cosmograph Daytona Ref: 6262/6239 which far exceeded its pre-sale estimate of £150,000-180,000, selling for £212,500.
Rolex was incredibly popular throughout the sale, with 6 of the Top 10 lots coming from the Swiss brand. The 18k gold manual wind Cosmograph Ref: 6263 doubled its pre-sale estimate when it achieved £100,000.
The auction featured 46 Heuers from a single private collection which included some of the finest examples of Heuer watches ever to be sold at auction.
World record autcion prices were achieved for the ‘Skipperera’ chronograph which realized £81,250, more than triple its estimate, and the Monaco ‘Dark Lord’ which doubled its estimate and sold for £53,750.
Patek Philippe remains popular, with 2 stand-out pieces being offered.
The fine 18k rose gold manual wind perpetual calendar chronograph with moon phase Ref: 3970 sold for £60,000 after spirited bidding in the room and
The fine 18k rose gold manual wind chronograph Ref: 5070R achieved £52,500.
Other highlights included:
– A Rolex stainless steel automatic chronograph bracelet Chronograph Ref: 6240/6239 sold for £56,250
– A Rolex Cosmograph ‘Big’ Daytona Ref: 6263 exceeded its estimate and sold for £47,500
– A Cartier ‘Crash’ Ref: 4468 134-91 3X’d its estimate and achieved £32,500
Jonathan Darracott, Global Head of Watches, commented: ‘We were very pleased with yesterday’s results, which reflect the continued buoyancy of the collectors’ market. Many of our top lots achieved well above their pre-sale estimate, indicating that bidders are keener than ever to secure the best examples of rare and interesting models at auction. This was one of our largest sales to date, and we are delighted that so many of the lots found new owners.’
Have a terrific week
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- People are Killing Themselves With Worry - June 17, 2019
- Some Tips to Speed Through Airport Security - June 17, 2019
- Box Office: ‘Men in Black: International’ Disappoints with $28.5-M - June 16, 2019