Bitcoin (BTC) Short Bets Spike
- The pessimistic sentiment around Bitcoin (BTC) prices saw the number of shorts spike to a 6-week high Thursday.
- Bitcoin is on track to post its biggest annual price drop on record. That would change only if prices rise above $5,959.
- The symmetrical triangle breakdown favors a drop to $3,474. Acceptance below that mark would further strengthen the Bears hold and open the Southside to the psych support at $3,000.
- A short-term Bullish reversal would be confirmed only above $4,400.
The BTCUSD short positions on the cryptocurrency exchange Bitfinex jumped to 37,891 the highest mark since 15 October, and were last seen at 36,996. Notably, shorts have risen by 95% in the last 3 weeks, accompanying BTC’s recent drop to 14-month lows near $3,500.
The Short positions remained elevated above 35,000 during BTC’s oversold bounce from $3,500 to $4,400 and climbed to fresh multi-week highs Thursday.
Further, the long-short ratio of 0.73 is biased toward the Bears.
BTC/USD Shorts on Bitfinex
The data indicates that, despite being so deep into the Mr. Bear’s territory, sellers appear to be showing no signs of exhaustion in here.
As a result, the cryptocurrency is currently trading a low at $3,406.75 Friday, the market is open.
The overall Bearish sentiment could soon reach extremes, as the short positions are down just 7% from the record high of 40,289 that was reached on on 19 September. Moreover, the extreme Bearish positioning is widely considered a sign that the sell-off is overdone and often preceeds a Key trend reversal.
Therefore, the prospects of sudden Bullish reversal, similar to the 1 seen on 12 April 2018, would improve substantially once the short positions reach record highs.
With the bears still keeping the upper hand, a significant recovery from current levels appears unlikely before year’s end, and BTC looks set to snap its 3-year winning streak with a 74% annual price drop, its biggest on record.
BTC’s only previous annual loss was a 57% dive in Y 2014. This year’s loss would be the biggest on record as long as prices hold below $5,959.
Meanwhile, the technical charts indicate that the Bitcoin may extend the loss further before the year’s end.
Have a terrific weekend
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- F1: Leclerc’s Pole at Sing. GP Show the Power of Ferrari - September 22, 2019
- There is More than 1 Way to Buy Gold and Silver - September 22, 2019
- President Trump Heads to UN With Long ‘To Do’ List - September 21, 2019