In today’s world is hard to escape stress of modern living. Beyond affecting mood, it can damage one’s health, from lost sleep and stress-eating to weight gain and heart disease.
Fortunately, there are easy steps to take to counter all of the negatives. A simple solution is a 20-min daily break to practice relaxation in a tranquil spot away from annoyances. But, when time is in short supply, anyone can do a 5-minute de-stress to refresh and refocus.
Below are 5 effective ways to do that, as follows:
- Breathe with focus: Put all your concentration on taking long, deep breaths. Watch your belly expand as you inhale and contract as you exhale.
- Meditate: Build on focused breathing by silently repeating a mantra, which can be just a sound, 1 word or a short, life-affirming phrase of your choice.
- Exercise: Tap into the power of mood-boosting endorphins by spending a few mins moving. You do not even have to leave your office, just close the door and try walking or running in place at your desk. Or get the mind-body benefits of yoga with a simple move like the Tree Pose: Standing straight, bend your right knee out to the side to place the sole of your right foot against the inner thigh of your left leg. Hold for 30-60 secs, then switch legs and repeat.
- Unplug: Turn off all electronic devices for the full 5 mins and let your mind wander or contemplate the view from your window.
- Guided imagery: With eyes closed, visualize yourself visiting a favorite place or doing a favorite activity. See yourself in the scene, smiling and having an enjoyable time.
And do not limit yourself to 1 technique, create a menu that you can pick from, depending on the situation. Breathe!
Eat healthy, Be healthy, Live lively
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Expose Yourself to Sunlight - August 20, 2019
- Savvy Managed Money Back to Stocks in 2 Weeks - August 20, 2019
- Ferrari (NYSE:RACE) The Future of Supercars Aligned with the Past - August 20, 2019