Australian Sires: Honorius will Produce Quality 2yo’s
Honorius won himself as a two year old twice, once in listed company, showing that he was quick to get going and he actually ran seven times as a two year old.
As a three year old he placed in races ranging from 7f up to 1m4f, making him have the potential to sire 1m Guineas winners, 1m4f Derby or Oaks winners, all the way up to 1m6f St Leger winners. Later in his career as an older horse, Honorius himself ran over 1m5f showing he does have plenty of stamina.
Honorius should be able to sire similar types who can race at two and make his name in the Australian Sires ranks, before going on to compete in the British classics as three year olds. By racing until he was seven, Honorius also showed he is tough and durable, a trait that is vital when looking for a stallion.
Honorius has a good pedigree and the right traits to make him a good stallion. If his progeny follow suit then they should be able to race as two year olds, challenge for major classics as 3yo’s and be durable and tough enough to be able to continue racing for many years.
He is a good addition to the stallion ranks and a horse that deserves following in the Northern Hemisphere throughout 2018.
As befitting a horse named after a Roman Emperor, Honorius is a horse of great style and presence and he is sure to impress breeders as he begins his stud career at Larneuk Stud, Euroa.
Honorius is a 7 year stallion with an impeccable pedigree and strong racing credentials that will prove to be popular in Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Europe, UK and Singapore, a strong turf stallion that performed at the highest grade Honorius is set to be a future star.
Honorius is out of Irish mare, Zarinia, also dam of South African Champion and Horse Of The Year, IGUGU, winner of four Group 1 events and ten races in all.
He is by proven sire in both hemispheres, HOLY ROMAN EMPEROR, a Coolmore owned sire of ten individual Group 1 winners in seven different countries.
A truly international success story is Holy Roman Emperor… winners in 41 different countries! A stallion whose stats read so very well – a 65.3% winners-to-runners strike rate, 6.2% stakes winners to runners. Prize money earnings in excess of $82 million, stakes winners who have won over a variety of distances from 1000m to 2500m.
Including a tough fellow by the name of Honorius, a horse whose illustrious background demands attention! A proven high class sire line, an internationally prolific family… he has it all.
• Winning the Group 3 Craven Plate at Randwick over 2000m
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Gloaming Stakes to IT’S A DUNDEEL (DUNDEEL) over 1800m
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Norman Robinson to HVASSTAN over 2000m.
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Frank Packer Plate over 2000m.
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Kingston Town over 2000m.
• 3rd in the Gr.1 Spring Champion Stakes to IT’S A DUNDEEL (DUNDEEL) over 2000m.
• 3rd in the Gr.1 Queensland Derby over 2400m to HAWKESPUR.
• 3rd in the Gr.3 Grand Prix to HAWKESPUR over 2200m.
• 3rd in the Listed MING DYNASTY over 1400m.
• 5th in the Gr.1 Epsom to HE’S YOUR MAN and ROYAL DESCENT over 1600m by only 1.8 lengths.
Latest posts by S. Jack Heffernan Ph.D (see all)
- Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris at ParisLongchamp - April 22, 2019
- Australia’s Horse Racing and Breeding Industry Needs Strong Political Representation - April 13, 2019
- Ben Currie Vs Darren Weir: Extremes are Hurting Australian Racing - April 12, 2019