Australian Sires: Honorius Begins his Career at Larneuk
Honorius is a son of Danehill’s highest ever rated 2YO Holy Roman Emperor, a Champion 2YO himself and internationally successful Group One producing sire.
Holy Roman Emperor’s 54 stakes winners include Hong Kong Horse Of The Year, Designs On Rome and his progeny have also enjoyed Group One success in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, England, France and the United States.
Claiming his second Hong Kong Champion Sire title having won it previously in 2014 before finishing second in 2015 and 2016, Holy Roman Emperor is the sire of 10 individual G1 winners in seven different countries.
A truly international success story is Holy Roman Emperor… winners in 41 different countries! A stallion whose stats read so very well – a 65.3% winners-to-runners strike rate, 6.2% stakes winners to runners. Prize money earnings in excess of $82 million, stakes winners who have won over a variety of distances from 1000m to 2500m.
A dual G1 winner that raced only at two, Holy Roman Emperor has sired no fewer than 68 stakes-winners worldwide including Caulfield Cup and dual Derby winner Mongolian Khan, HK superstar Designs on Rome, globetrotting sprinter Rich Tapestry, Thousand Guineas heroine Homecoming Queen as well as brilliantly fast Australian mares Angelic Light and last season G1 Oakleigh Plate winner Sheidel.
A descendant of the famed Franfreluche family, like champion Australian sires Encosta de Lago and Flying Spur.
Two-time Champion Stallion in Hong Kong and a proven stallion in both hemispheres
Champion 2YO Colt of his generation and one of few commercial sons of Danehill left at stud
Progeny earnings in excess of $83 million
Holy Roman Emperor has already sired two G1 winners as a broodmare sire in Johannes Vermeer and Verbal Dexterity
Honorius won himself as a two year old twice, once in listed company, showing that he was quick to get going and he actually ran seven times as a two year old.
As a three year old he placed in races ranging from 7f up to 1m4f, making him have the potential to sire 1m Guineas winners, 1m4f Derby or Oaks winners, all the way up to 1m6f St Leger winners. Later in his career as an older horse, Honorius himself ran over 1m5f showing he does have plenty of stamina.
Honorius should be able to sire similar types who can race at two and make his name in the Australian Sires ranks, before going on to compete in the British classics as three year olds. By racing until he was seven, Honorius also showed he is tough and durable, a trait that is vital when looking for a stallion.
• Winning the Group 3 Craven Plate at Randwick over 2000m
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Gloaming Stakes to IT’S A DUNDEEL (DUNDEEL) over 1800m
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Norman Robinson to HVASSTAN over 2000m.
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Frank Packer Plate over 2000m.
• 2nd in the Gr.3 Kingston Town over 2000m.
• 3rd in the Gr.1 Spring Champion Stakes to IT’S A DUNDEEL (DUNDEEL) over 2000m.
• 3rd in the Gr.1 Queensland Derby over 2400m to HAWKESPUR.
• 3rd in the Gr.3 Grand Prix to HAWKESPUR over 2200m.
• 3rd in the Listed MING DYNASTY over 1400m.
• 5th in the Gr.1 Epsom to HE’S YOUR MAN and ROYAL DESCENT over 1600m by only 1.8 lengths.
Latest posts by Shayne Heffernan (see all)
- Record Breaking 2019 Magic Millions Gold Coast Yearling Sale - January 15, 2019
- Godolphin the Leading Owner in France - January 15, 2019
- Harry Angel Heads to Stud at Darley - January 15, 2019