France: ARQANA August Yearling Sale
Further underlining the quality of a selection that hails from the top French and European nurseries, this year has seen a plethora of exciting performances from previous graduates, not least 2016 sales topper MAGIC WAND who captured the Gr.2 Ribblesdale Stakes at Royal Ascot last week in dazzling style.
She joins the ARQANA Yearling Sales’ Hall of Fame with other past graduates such as 2017 Epsom Derby winner WINGS OF EAGLES, Hong Kong champion PAKISTAN
STAR, the winner of two Gr.1 races this season and Horse of the Year; Gr.1 Jenny Wiley Stakes heroine SISTERCHARLIE, as well as the talented sprinter CITY LIGHT, who thrilled all of France when just going down in the Gr.1 Diamond Jubilee Stakes last Saturday. Also at the Royal Meeting, fellow ARQANA yearling purchase TORCEDOR, trained in Ireland for the New Zealand colours of Te Akau Racing, put up an outstanding performance when third in the Gr.1 Ascot Gold Cup.
In France, OLMEDO and TEPPAL scored a Classic double for ARQANA when winning the Gr.1 Poule d’Essai des Poulains and Poule d’Essai des Pouliches at ParisLongchamp, while BARKAA, DICE ROLL, INTELLOGENT, PHARRELL and YOUNG RASCAL have each won Classic trials on either side of the English Channel.
No less than 345 yearlings will try to follow in their footsteps when they go under the hammer from August 18 to 20 in Deauville.
A Group win a Listed win and 8 Group placings against horses like Arrowfields Dundeel, Looking forward to seeing his first foals in a couple of months. It pays to be #larneukbred https://t.co/N4JCie66Hd pic.twitter.com/2sRZnqeSp4
— Knightsbridge (@KBloodstock) June 25, 2018
The best French and International stallions catalogued The catalogue contains a large quantity of yearlings by the top stallions in Europe, including two by Dubawi, six by Galileo, three by Frankel, nine by Invincible Spirit and 25 by Siyouni. Other established sires feature Darbirsim, Dark Angel, Exceed and Excel, Iffraaj, Le Havre, Lope de Vega, Sea The Stars and Wootton Bassett.
Meanwhile, the August Yearling Sale will be the first opportunity in Europe to secure yearlings from the first crop of Triple Crown winner American Pharoah (2 lots), Arc hero and European Champion Three-Year- Old Golden Horn (8), European Champion Sprinter Muhaarar (7), dual Classic winner Gleneagles (8), as well as Brazen Beau, Free Eagle, Galiway, Gutaifan, Ivawood, Karakontie, Make Believe, Night Of Thunder, Outstrip, Sidestep and The Wow Signal.
On the distaff side, a remarkable 40% of the yearlings catalogued are out of black-type mares, a figure that exceeds the 50% threshold in Part 1. In addition, two third of the colts and fillies offered as part of that elite sections are siblings to black-type performers.
The following progeny of the Group 1 winning mares particularly stand out:
• Lot 137, a colt by Dubawi presented by La Motteraye Consignment, the first foal out of Irish 1000 Guineas and E. P. Taylor Stakes (Grs.1) winner JUST THE JUDGE, who was also placed in five Group/Grade 1 contests.
• Lot 121, a Galileo colt out of Haras de la Pérelle’s homebred GIOFRA.
• Lot 159, the second foal out of Nunthorpe Stakes (Gr.1) winner MARGOT DID. Consigned by Haras d’Etreham, this daughter of Galileo is also a full sister to the recent Prix de Sandringham (Gr.2) victrix MISSION IMPASSIBLE.
• Lot 23, a son of Group 1 winner ROYAL HIGHNESS by the young sprint prodigy Muhaarar, also three- parts brother to triple Group winner FREE PORT LUX, offered from Ecurie des Monceaux.
• Lot 131, an Oasis Dream colt out of Beverly D.
Stakes (Gr.1) winner I’M A DREAMER. He will be consigned by Whatton Manor Stud.
Ecurie des Monceaux will once again present the largest consignment at the sale with 35 yearlings headed by:
• Lot 1, a daughter of Galileo out of the quadruple
Group winner NAISSANCE ROYALE.
• Lot 8, a half-sister to INTELLOGENT by Gleneagles, from the family of three-year-old German champion NIGHTFLOWER.
• Lot16, a half-brother of Group 1 winner CHICQUITA and recent Ribblesdale Stakes (Gr.2) winner MAGIC WAND, by Muhaarar.
• Lot 25, the first foal out of dual Group winner
RUSTY SLIPPER by Medaglia d’Oro.
• Lot 43, a half-brother to recent Group 1 winner
SISTERCHARLIE by Charm Spirit.
• Lot 79, a half-brother to Group 1 winner NATIONAL DEFENSE by the Aga Khan Studs’ flagship stallion Siyouni.
• Lot 106, the first foal by Galileo out of black-type placed DEBUTANTE, a half-sister to Arc heroine DANEDREAM.
• Lot 108, a half-brother to triple Group winner THE JULIET ROSE Group by Invincible Spirit.
• Lot 158, a filly from the first crop of American Pharoah, also first foal out of Group 3 winner MARBRE ROSE from the family of US Stakes winner GIDU.
Haras des Capucines will consign 25 yearlings among which:
• Lot 36, the first foal out of the Listed juvenile winner SIVOLIERE by Siyouni, from Serena’s Song’s outstanding family.
• Lot 50, a colt from Kingman’s second crop, whose two-year-old CALYX ran away with the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot. His dam is the Gr.2 winner TAMAZIRTE, who has already produced a Listed winner in the USA.
• Lot 51, a daughter of Galileo and TENDER MORN, who has already produced four black type two- year-olds horses including Gr.3 Prix d’Aumale winner ZANTENDA and this filly’s own brother KENYA.
• Lot 114, a three-parts sister to SEA LORD and half to FRENCH NAVY, from Golden Horn’s first yearlings.
A total of 23 yearlings will be conditioned by Haras d’Etreham including:
• Lot 31, a half-brother to Listed winner SIVOLIERE
from Golden Horn’s first crop.
• Lot 96, a full sister to Group winner ERNEST HEMINGWAY by Galileo, also a three-parts sibling to TOULIFAUT, the winner of the Prix d’Aumale (Gr.3).
• Lot 34, a half-sister to dual Group 1 SHARETA by AmericanPharoah,fromthefamilyofSHAWANDA, also a two-time winner at the highest level.
• Lot 47, a half-sister to Group 1 Prix Maurice de
Gheest winner SIGNS OF BLESSING, by Muhaarar.
• Lot97, a half-sister by Temple City to HOMERIQUE, a close 3rd in the Prix de Diane Longines Gr.1.
A total of 22 yearlings will pass under the banner of La Motteraye Consignment whose lot 140, a daughter of Frankel out of the Group 1 placed L’ANCRESSE who has already produced the dual Listed winner CHAMONIX.
Anna Sundström (Coulonces Sales) will bring 21 yearlings to the sale including:
• Lot 22, a half-brother by Camelot to the excellent YOUNG RASCAL, who made a strong impression in the Gr.3 Chester Vase.
• Lot 68, a full brother to Prix de Diane and Poule d’Essai des Pouliches (Gr.1) winner LA CRESSONNIERE.
• Lot 110, a half-brother of the Group 2 winner from the family of ELLE DANZIG by Lope de Vega.
A consignment of 13 yearlings will be presented by
Haras du Mézeray including:
• Lot 71, a daughter of Oasis Dream and the dual Group winner AIGUE MARINE, also half-sister to Group 1 winner MEKHTAAL.
• Lot 78, a daughter of Mastercraftsman, a sister to the recent Just A Game Stakes (Gr.1) winner A RAVING BEAUTY.
The vendor of the top price last year, Haras de la
Perelle sends six yearlings including:
• Lot 17, a half-sister to Group 1 winner MILLE ET MILLE by Golden Horn.
• Lot 98, Dubawi’s only daughter in the catalogue, the first foal out of dual Group 2 CLADOCERA.
• Lot 124, a son of Kingman and GRACEFULLY who has already produced 4 black-type performers including Group 1 winner GIOFRA.
The Haras du Cadran will bring 25 yearlings to the ring, of which:
• Lot 83, the first foal out of Listed winner and Group placed AVENUE GABRIEL, from Muhaarar’s first crop.
• Lot 298, a daughter of Gleneagles and a sister to Irish 1000 Guineas and Coronation Stakes heroine ALPHA CENTAURI.
Haras de l’Hôtellerie will present 13 yearlings including:
• Lot 145, the first foal out of Group 2 winner LADY TIANA by Dark Angel.
• Lot 164, a half-sister by Al Kazeem to the Group winner AIM TO PLEASE.
12 yearlings will be brought to the ring by the Haras de Montaigu, among them:
• Lot 107, a half-brother to Group winner
EXTORTIONIST from Make Believe’s first crop.
• Lot 125, a daughter of Mastercraftsman and black- type performer Gyrella, a half-sister to Derby winner WINGS OF EAGLES.
Ballylinch Stud are also well represented with 7 regally-bred individuals headed by:
• Lot 105, an own brother to dual Group 1 winner
• Lot 161, the first foal out of Group winner MAYHEM
by Invincible Spirit.
Among the other blue-blooded yearlings on offer are:
• Lot 21, a son of Frankel out of dual Group winner
RESTIADARGENT from Haras de Colleville.
• Lot 24, a half-brother to DABIRSIM by Siyouni, presented by Haras de Grandcamp.
• Lot 33, a half-sister to CONTRIBUTER by Free
Eagle, presented by Haras de la Louviere.
• Lot 52, a three-parts brother by Australia to dual Group 2 winner PERMIAN, presented by Camas Park & Glenvale Studs.
• Lot 87, the first foal out of Group 2 winner BAINO HOPE by Oasis Dream, presented by Haras du Quesnay.
• Lot 90, a son of Siyouni and Group winner BAL DE LA ROSE, already the dam of Listed winner BLOSSOMTIME, presented by Fairway Consignment.
• Lot 151, a half-sister to Group winner BE MY GAL
by Golden Horn, presented by Oakgrove Stud.
• Lot 166, a half-sister by Zoffany to the very good Group winner FORCES OF DARKNESS, presented by Camas Park & Glenvale Studs.
Catalogue online at
Latest posts by S. Jack Heffernan Ph.D (see all)
- Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris at ParisLongchamp - April 22, 2019
- Australia’s Horse Racing and Breeding Industry Needs Strong Political Representation - April 13, 2019
- Ben Currie Vs Darren Weir: Extremes are Hurting Australian Racing - April 12, 2019