The Judges at Villa d’Este Wear Panama Hats
The Panama Hat is their badge of identification. When the judges of the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este approach the automobile beauties in the grounds of Villa d’Este, the pulse of the vehicle owners starts to beat faster.
These 12 appointed ladies and gentlemen decide who will win the coveted trophies.
They pay attention to and focus on authenticity, elegance, quality of restoration or state of preservation in unrestored vehicles, functionality, overall impression and, as far as possible the documented vehicle history.
The jury members are selected on the basis of international standards.
They are experts from Europe and America. The jurors originate from different specialist areas – and they include journalists, authors of automobile books and designers.
The permanent Jury in 2018 includes the following members:
- Lorenzo Ramaciotti (Italy): President of the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este Jury since 2004, he has worked as an automobile designer for 40 years and can draw on 20 years of experience in assessing vehicles. From 1998 until 2005, he was head of design at Pininfarina. In 2007, he was appointed Chief Design Officer at the Fiat Group, and since 2015 he has been Special Advisor to the CEO of the Fiat Chrysler Automobile Group.
- Ian Cameron (UK): Graduate of the Royal College of Art and until 2012 Chief Designer at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars.
- Winston Goodfellow (USA): Journalist and automobile historian.
- Harm Lagaaij (Netherlands): former Chief Designer at Ford, BMW and Porsche.
- Adolfo Orsi (Italy): Expert on the Maserati brand and historian of Italian motor sport.
- Stefano Pasini (Italy): Ophthalmologist, freelance journalist and author of automobile books.
- Patrick le Quément (France): former Head of Design at Renault.
- J. Philip Rathgen (Germany): Journalist and Managing Director of ClassicDriver.com.
Traditionally, the panel is augmented by Honorary Judges each year, be they designers or automobile enthusiasts.
Notably, some of them are not only automobile aficionados but also well-known contemporary celebrities:
- Lapo Edvard Elkann (Italy): Designer, owner of the fashion label “Italia Independent”, grandson of former head of the FIAT Group Gianni Agnelli.
- Sir Jonathan Paul “Jony” Ive (UK): Chief Design Officer at Apple, proponent of the principle “form follows function”.
- Yasmin Le Bon (UK): former-model, classic car connoisseur and Mille Miglia competitor, married to Duran-Duran singer Simon Le Bon.
- Quirina Louwman (Netherlands): classic car aficionado and regular participant in classic rallies, daughter of Evert Louwman, owner of 1 of the oldest private automobile collections with some 300 classic cars.