“Autophagy means “self-eating” and refers to our body’s process of eliminating damaged cells by digesting them” — Paul Ebeling
- Autophagy refers to your body’s process of eliminating damaged cells by digesting them. It is an essential cleaning out process that encourages proliferation of new, healthy cells, and is a foundational aspect of cellular rejuvenation and longevity
- Autophagy also destroys foreign invaders such as viruses, bacteria and other pathogens, and detoxifies the cell of harmful materials
- Autophagy slows down with age, and autophagy defects are known to contribute to a wide variety of diseases, including Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
- By activating autophagy, or repairing the mechanism in cases where dysfunction has set in, researchers believe neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s can be successfully treated
- There are a number of ways to activate and increase autophagy, including fasting, exercising, eating autophagy-boosting foods and taking AMPK-activating supplements such as berberine and PQQ
Considering our health is dependent on well-functioning cells, addressing autophagy is of significant importance and can go a long way toward preventing disease, including neurodegenerative disorders and cancer. Without autophagy, your cells will eventually become clogged up with toxins and debris, and once they start to malfunction and/or die, your body will be unable to efficiently clear those cells out, which will further exacerbate the problem.
The good news: it is not difficult to optimize autophagy. Fasting appears to be the most efficient way, but exercise and adding certain real foods and supplements are also helpful strategies.
So, if you are truly dedicated, you will do your best to incorporate all of these strategies.
Have healthy, prosperous weekend, Keep the Faith!