Americans Support National Guard at the Southern Border
A majority of Americans believe President Donald Trump’s plan to send National Guard troops to the US-Mexico border will be effective in combating illegal immigration in the short term, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll from April 15-19.
Below are some Key findings from the poll, as follows:
- 55% of US adults think deploying the National Guard to the border will be effective in the short term, but only 49% think it will be effective in the long term. About 16% of Americans think it will be “very effective” short and long-term.
- 77% of Republicans think deploying the National Guard will be effective in the short term, compared with just 42% of Democrats.
- A large majority of Trump voters (85%) are confident in the plan in the short term. But people across both parties tend to be less sure it is a durable strategy, slipping to 73% for Republicans and 34% for Democrats.
- 15% of Trump voters also think it will be ineffective long-term.
- The poll shows Democrats are split over whether deploying the National Guard will curb illegal immigration.
- 48% see it as ineffective in the short term, while 42% see it as effective, a difference of 6%.
- 8% of Democrats say it will be “very effective,” but the same percentage think this for the long term as well.
- The number of Republicans showing this strongest level of support in the long term drops slightly.
BORDER PATROL AGENTS
President Trump has called for more Border Patrol agents as part of his immigration crackdown.
Responding to a separate question in the poll, nearly 60% of Americans say they support the increase.
Democrats report similar views on the strategies: four in 10 support more Border Patrol agents and sending the National Guard as a short-term plan.
But more Republicans support upping border agents, at 83.5%, than deploying troops, at 77%.
This difference was narrower for respondents who voted for Donald Trump in the 2016 Election.
The Reuters/Ipsos poll of 1,516 US adults on the National Guard border deployment was conducted 15-19 April and has a credibility interval of 3-6%.
Latest posts by HEFFX Australia (see all)
- Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) Stock Update - December 2, 2020
- Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) Stock Update and Technical Analysis from Metastock - December 2, 2020
- Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) Charts Show More Upside - December 2, 2020