62% of Americans Now Support Marijuana Legalization
Now, 62% of Americans say the use of marijuana should be legalized, according to a new Pew Research Center survey released Monday.
This reflects a steady increase over the past decade in support. While those who backed the legalization of marijuana is little changed from about a year ago, when 61% did so, the number is double the 31% who favored legalization in Y 2000.
Other results from the survey include:
- While 74% of Millennials, 63% of Gen Xers and 54% of Baby Boomers say the use of marijuana should be legal, only 39% of the Silent Generation are supportive the move.
- Among Democrats, 69% say marijuana use should be legal, compared to 45% of Republicans. Among Independents, 68% back legalization.
- Men are much more supportive of legalizing marijuana than women are, at 68% to 56%.
The upswing in public support for legal marijuana comes as an increasing number of states have legalized the drug for medical or recreational purposes in recent years.
The analysis in this survey is based on telephone interviews conducted between 18-24 September among a national sample of 1,754 adults, 18 years of age or older, living in all 50 US states and the District of Columbia. The margin of error was plus or minus 2.7%.
Sunday, recreational marijuana was legalized in Vermont, becoming the 9th state make the drug legal.
Adults over age 21 will be able to possess up to 1 ounce (28 grams) of marijuana, 2 mature marijuana plants and 4 immature plants.
Smoking marijuana is barred in public spaces, and renters need permission from their landlords to use or grow at home.
Vermont was the 1st state to legalize recreational marijuana through a legislative vote. It decriminalized marijuana in Y 2013 and legalized medical marijuana in Y 2004.
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- F1: Leclerc’s Pole at Sing. GP Show the Power of Ferrari - September 22, 2019
- There is More than 1 Way to Buy Gold and Silver - September 22, 2019
- President Trump Heads to UN With Long ‘To Do’ List - September 21, 2019