Video of 2016’s Worst Red-Light Runners
American Traffic Solutions (ATS), the leading road safety camera provider in North America, wants drivers to see this year’s compilation of the worst red-light running crash videos and realize they are too dangerous to ignore.
“Seeing is believing, and ATS urges drivers to watch this public service video and recognize the danger red-light running presents,” said Liz Caracciolo, ATS Safety General Manager. “Every day, in the United States, drivers running red lights cause an average of two fatalities and more than 340 injuries. When drivers ignore a red light, they put themselves and innocent pedestrians, motorcyclists, bicyclists, other drivers and passengers at great risk. ATS urges all drivers to choose safety over recklessness and stop on red.”
The video, compiled from ATS red-light safety cameras in operation in communities throughout the country, is available for viewing here: https://www.atsol.com/2016-worst-red-light-runners/
Red-light safety cameras have a measurable impact on traffic safety, according to independent research. This year, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety determined red-light cameras in 79 large U.S. cities saved nearly 1,296 lives. Conversely, the study found the rate of red-light running fatalities rose 30 percent in cities that had turned off their cameras. However, red-light running fatalities decreased 21 percent in cities that turned on red-light safety cameras.
Independent media reports show similar results across the country this year, including:
- In Amarillo, Texas, where crashes are down 84% at four intersections with red-light cameras in operation for six years. The decrease compares crashes in 2008-2009 with 2014-2015. Source: KVII-TV ABC 7 (Texas), July 26, 2016. http://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/abc-7-investigates-red-light-cameras
- In Nassau County, N.Y., where a 34% decrease in crashes involving injuries at the 72 intersections with red-light cameras in operation since 2014 is on record. Source: Newsday (New York), June 21, 2016. http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/nassau-county-red-light-cameras-show-revenue-drop-1.11948117
- In Howard County, MD., where red-light running is diminished 59% at intersections with red-light safety cameras since the program began in 1998. Source: Herald-Mail Media (Maryland), June 14, 2016. http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/local/city-council-eyes-more-cameras-for-police-intersections/article_b2487f6e-3225-11e6-8c44-3703603a5bf1.html
“The collisions captured by our road safety cameras can be avoided. For your own safety, ATS encourages all drivers to abide by traffic laws and stop on red,” Caracciolo said.
About American Traffic Solutions:
ATS is proud to be the market leader in road safety camera installations in North America. Nationally, ATS has more than 3,500 installed red-light, speed and school bus stop arm safety cameras serving more than 30 million people. ATS Fleet Services is a leader in providing both Toll and Violation Management Solutions to fleets and rental customers saving them time and money. For more information, please visit www.atsol.com.
Latest posts by Shayne Heffernan (see all)
- Islamic Terrorist Attack Cover Up in Melbourne, Australia - January 21, 2017
- China Data: Retail is on the Rise - January 20, 2017
- The Hong Kong Classic Mile: Our Selections - January 20, 2017