Swedish Prosecutor to Drop Julian Assange Investigation
Friday, Swedish prosecutors said they are dropping a preliminary investigation into an allegation of rape against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, 45 anni, bringing to an end a 7-year legal stand-off.
“Chief Prosecutor Marianne Ny has decided to discontinue the preliminary investigation regarding suspected rape concerning Julian Assange,” the prosecutors office said in a statement.
Mr. Assange has lived in the Ecuadorean Embassy in London since Y 2012, after taking refuge there to avoid extradition to Sweden over the allegation of rape, which he has always denied.
According to a statement from the Met Police, Mr Assange still faces arrest for a lesser charge of jumping bail if he leaves the Ecuadorian embassy.
Here is that statement in full, as follows:
“Westminster Magistrates’ Court issued a warrant for the arrest of Julian Assange following him failing to surrender to the court on the 29 June 2012. The Metropolitan Police Service is obliged to execute that warrant should he leave the Embassy.
Whilst Mr Assange was wanted on a European Arrest Warrant (EAW) for an extremely serious offence, the MPS response reflected the serious nature of that crime. Now that the situation has changed and the Swedish authorities have discontinued their investigation into that matter, Mr Assange remains wanted for a much less serious offence. The MPS will provide a level of resourcing which is proportionate to that offence.
The MPS will not comment further on the operational plan.
The priority for the MPS must continue to be arresting those who are currently wanted in the Capital in connection with serious violent or sexual offences for the protection of Londoners.”
Have a terrific weekend
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- Box Office: ‘Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom’ Wins the Weekend - June 24, 2018
- F1: French Grand Prix, Hamilton Wins - June 24, 2018
- Last Week in the Crypto World - June 23, 2018