Steer Clear of Fast Food, Avoid Salt Now for Good Health
New proposed US dietary guidelines designed to reduce salt in Americans’ diets will save lives eventually, but people should take steps right Now to cut down and protect their health, a top expert says.
“This is good news because salt kills, and we see the results in the form of heart attack, stroke and kidney disease. But there’s no reason to wait for the government to take action, people should get rid of their salt shakers now,” Palm Beach Cardiologist Dr. Chauncey Crandall said.
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) this month issued draft voluntary guidelines aimed at major food manufacturers and big chain restaurants, warning them they need to reduce the amount of salt that is contained in the processed food they sell and serve.
The FDA proposed a daily sodium intake of 2,300 milligrams a day, down from the current average adult intake of about 3,400 milligrams a day long-term.
“These guidelines are a good because I see the result of people eating too of salt everyday in the hospital,” says Dr. Crandall, Chief of the cardiac transplant program at the world-renowned Palm Beach Cardiovascular Clinic in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
More than 70% of the sodium consumed in this country is already in food before it reaches the table, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says. This is because of the amounts of salt already contained in packaged foods like bread, salad dressing, canned soup, and cheese, as well as added to restaurant meals.
“Most people, especially as they get older, are eating more of their meals in restaurants, where the overuse of salt to provide flavor is rampant,” says Dr. Crandall.
Processed snack foods like chips, pretzels, and the like, are loaded with salt.
Cut down salt now to protect your health, below are some tips, as follows:
- Throw away your salt shaker. Given the amount of salt in most foods, there is no reason to add it. Also, although it will take time for your taste buds to grow accustomed to less salty food, they will, and you’ll get to taste even more flavor in food.
- Eat whole, fresh foods. Choose organic foods whenever possible. Packaged and processed foods are often packed with salt, not only for flavor but also as a preservative.
- Learn to use herbs and spices. Try seasoning foods with lemon juice, black pepper, ginger, fennel, bay leaves, rosemary, ginger, and garlic, instead of salt. Use them in cooking as well. Flavored vinegar’s are also great food enhancers. Be careful with salt substitutes, as some are a blend that includes salt (“sodium” on labels) or they may contain potassium chloride, which may not be safe for people with kidney problems, so you may want to check with your doctor first.
- Banish condiments. Salt is often hiding in condiments, like ketchup, barbecue sauce, meat tenderizers, and especially soy sauce.
- Snack smartly. Chips, pretzels, and crackers get their taste and addictive quality from salt. Substitute fresh veggies or, for a treat, try unsalted or lower-sodium versions of your favorites.
- Eat fresh Organic vegetables, they are the best choice, and, when not available, choose frozen. Canned vegetables are often prepared with salt, and sometimes sugar as well. Avoid them at all costs
- Watch for “hidden salt.” The use of salt started out as a preservative, but now its found in almost all packaged and processed foods. Cereals, tomato sauce, frozen pancakes, processed cheese, bread, salad dressings, and even so-called “healthy” vegetarian frozen foods can be sources of hidden salt.
- Beware fat-free or sugar-free foods. When ingredients like fat and sugar eliminated, manufacturers usually add salt to compensate.
- Avoid cured foods. Hot dogs, deli meats, bacon, and even foods like sliced turkey, ham, or chicken often contain added salt.
- Steer clear of fast foods. Burgers and fries are prime salt offenders, and so is Chinese food, which may be packed with salt and additives.
Again, for good health, ditch the salt shaker now…
Eat healthy, Be healthy, Live Lively
Latest posts by Paul Ebeling (see all)
- President Trump, “I will break up the ‘outrageous’ 9th Circuit Court” - April 27, 2017
- Obama’s Failure Resulted in 4 April Sarin Gas Attack in Syria - April 27, 2017
- Key Stock Indexes, Crude, Gold & Silver Markets Briefing - April 27, 2017